X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting the 3650 Herc-u-Lift

When my 3650 Herc-u-lift is not engaged, the wheels still loosely touch the ground. I've adjusted the the leg levelers so the saw is stable, but the wheels still touch the ground ever so slightly. It "seems" like this may make the base move ever so slightly when I really push on it. I'd like it not to move at all.

So... I was thinking of adding a spring or bungee cord to help pull the wheels off the ground when the Herc is not engaged.

Does this sound like a good idea or am I over-reacting here???

Thanks!

Mike

Re: Adjusting the 3650 Herc-u-Lift

I just checked my saw and I believe your situation may be caused more by your floor than the Herc-u-Lift. When not in use, my saw is parked fairly close to the floor drain in my basement. The floor is pitched in this area towards the drain. The wheels on one side of my lift are off the ground while the other side, like yours, are slightly touching the floor. On the other hand, when in use the saw is well away from its parking spot and in area where the floor is flat. In that location all the wheels are off the floor when the Herc-u-Lift is disengaged.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Hmm... probably is the floor.

In any case, do you think it would help to "pull" the wheels up a little? Seems to me anything to keep them well off the ground would be beneficial.

Thanks!

Comment

I don't necessarily think it will help to "pull" the wheels up nor do I think it would hurt to do so. It would seem to me that if you were doing something that would cause enough pressure so that your 3650 would move with the Herc-u-Lift disengaged then you shouldn't be doing whatever that is when the saw is running.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

LOL! So I shouldn't be sawing telephone poles???

Makes sense... Thanks. Yeah, I think I'm just out-thinking the Herc and after reading what you said, I realize it doesn't matter either way. It's definitely stable enough to do it all.

Thanks again!

Comment

The Herc-u-Lift is designed so the wheels always will touch the ground. The weight of the assembly has no retract spring to hold it up, so gravity will have its say. Just make sure that the height adjusters on the legs are all solid against the floor with the hercu-u-lift disengaged. If you feel better with a bungee cord holding it up, do it, but it will not improve the stability of the saw.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

The Herc-U-Lift Plus actually comes with a spring to use with it. When I installed it on my planer some time ago the spring connects from the lift system to the bottom of the planer stand. It helps to hold the wheels up and does make the set up more stable when lowered down. That being said, I admit the planer and stand weigh almost nothing in comparison to the TS3650. I would tend to lean with Gofor that adding a spring or bungee in this case would probably not help much. As BD mentioned, an uneven floor easily causes this problem and I see it much more in my new shop which has a very sloped floor in it compared to my old one.
              Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by Northern Wood View Post
                When my 3650 Herc-u-lift is not engaged, the wheels still loosely touch the ground. I've adjusted the the leg levelers so the saw is stable, but the wheels still touch the ground ever so slightly. It "seems" like this may make the base move ever so slightly when I really push on it. I'd like it not to move at all.
                When I first assembled my 3650 I had the same problem. With the Herc-u-lift in the up position, I could still push on the table and it would move. I remember thinking "this can't be right."

So, I put my face down on the cement floor and watched how the latch would engage the U-bolt while pressing the mechanism with my hand. I had the U-bolt adjustment incorrectly. It was catching the back edge of the latch. It was not going where it was suppose to. After adjusting the U-bolt so that it would ride up into the latch slot correctly and without binding, the Herc-u-lift functioned properly and now operates like silk. There is no way the table can be moved with the Herc-u-lift disengaged.

Comment

More on the story... (Or should I say "moron story"...)

I went out and looked again. The wheels are touching the ground, albeit barely. When I pushed on the saw hard it moved slightly. (This goes back to Badger's comment, that I shouldn't be pushing it that hard anyway.)

When it did move, I got down and looked. The legs are down and it was THEM sliding on a dusty floor. The wheels had nothing to do with it. Oh, and I was pushing pretty hard. I also checked to make sure the u-bolt was okay like VegasGuy said, and it is just fine.

So... chalk this up as a new owner worrying too much over nothing.

Thanks for the help, though!

Comment

When my 3650 Herc-u-lift is not engaged,
                    the wheels still loosely touch the ground. I've adjusted the the leg levelers so the saw is stable, but the wheels still touch the ground ever so slightly. It "seems" like this may make the base move ever so slightly when I really push on it. I'd like it not to move at all.

So... I was thinking of adding a spring or bungee cord to help pull the wheels off the ground when the Herc is not engaged.

Does this sound like a good idea or am I over-reacting here???

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

I had the exact same problem as you. My saw was not as stable as I wanted. This may not solve your problem as you probably have your saw set up correctly already, but it solved mine and made me happy. Here is what I did:

Make sure that all four bolts, connecting the square tubing to the legs, are loose enough so that they can swivel as designed. I adjusted mine so that when I put a wrench on the bolt and turn it, the locknut will turn with the bolt. (Almost like "finger tight" if there was no locknut.) The wheels still lightly touch the floor, but the saw is much more stable. A couple of mine were a little too tight, and I even had difficulty moving it with the wheels down as the stationary feet would touch the floor when the wheels swiveled. Now it rolls better and is much more stable. Hope this helps.

Mick

Comment

Thanks, Mick!

I'll have to give that a try and let you know how it works. Even though all seems better, it may still help...

Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X