Ryobi A18MS01 Compound Miter Saw Stand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi A18MS01 Compound Miter Saw Stand

Ok, so I bought the Ryobi A18MS01 some time ago. Prior to the deal Home Depot was having on the Ridgid MSUV. Anyway, I still think its great. It folds up nicely and easily and hides itself well in the corner of the garage. It's also good and sturdy and fully extended has one heck of a span for stock support. Much more than I'll likely ever need at 112". However, the only thing I've been scratching my head over is how to use what Ryobi calls their integrated measuring scale. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with where/how the saw sits and the cuts you are making. Any ideas? http://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/tool/a18ms01/
    No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Re: Ryobi A18MS01 Compound Miter Saw Stand

Yes, this is a rather slick CMS stand. I bought mine early last year and find it very portable and sturdy. It's a steal at $99, IMO. You can also buy extra mounting brackets which are relatively inexpensive.

But regarding those "measurement" tapes that are tacked on the side? Well, if you have a piece and don't know whether it's 18 or 20 inches in length, I guess that's a quick reference, but beyond that I see it does little more than add some color to an otherwise blank area. When given the task of dressing up a tool, it's amazing what a designer might come up with; and that, IMO, is the single purpose of those measurements.

Now before you get too critical, take a look at some of the cordless drills that are on the market.... they're looking more and more like they have been dressed up by designers who used to work in the athletic shoe industry.

CWS

Comment

I had been looking at the Delta CMS for $99 at Lowe's when I stumbled upon the Ryobi CMS for the same price at HD. Without hesitation I went for the Ryobi. That thing makes the Delta CMS seem like a tinker toy.

As for the tape, that's what I kind of figured. I just thought there may have been something a little more technical that I missed. Now that you've mentioned it I can see where you could use it to take a make quick measurement on a board, make your cut and set the arms up for repeated cuts using your cut board as your template.

BTW, where did you find the extra mounting brackets?

You’re very right about the drills, especially Hitachi cordless tools in general. Every time I see them I wonder if they forgot to put the Nike swoosh mark on them. That’s too funny.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

The Ryobi stand's on sale at my local HD for $89. Looks like a decent stand. I got a great deal at HD a couple years ago on a stablemate 100 stand. It was on clearance for $70! It's a solid stand made in USA from heavy gauge galvanized steel. A bit heavy, but it's very durable and stable. I'd recommend it at full price...

http://www.amazon.com/StableMate-PLU.../dp/B00008PWXV

Comment

I was thinking about buying this stand - but my concern lies in the width of stock. The arms extend a great distance, but can i make a 12" cross cut on this stand? Will the extensions hold stock this large?

I am specifically thinking about 2 X 12s in the 16' range.

Comment

If your saw can handle it I don't see why not. The ends of the arms that will be doing the supporting are about 10" L. So you will have some overhang. However, if you're planning on using a sliding CMS note that the site listed above states that it is not desinged for 12" sliding or larger CMS. Guess that means if you've got a 10" SCMS your good to go. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
              I was thinking about buying this stand - but my concern lies in the width of stock. The arms extend a great distance, but can i make a 12" cross cut on this stand? Will the extensions hold stock this large?

I am specifically thinking about 2 X 12s in the 16' range.

For extra long or heavy pieces I like to use these on the ends...

Comment

9.5 Fingers to Go,

Regarding the mounting brackets, not too long after purchasing the Ryobi stand, I saw an Ad for a Port-A-Mate (I think it was in a Rockler catalog). As I recall, it was similarly constructed, but almost three times the price. It did have an additional accessory table (using two more mounting brackets) and also a mounting bracket holding a goose-neck lamp.

I figured the accessory table might be a nice addition, so I called Ryobi Parts to see if these mounting brackets were available and what the cost might be. According to my notes, the part number is A000220601 and they were priced at $15.36 ea. plus shipping. For two mounting brackets w/shipping, I think the cost was less than $40. (I never did order them though.)

I hope this is helpful,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                X