X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 - bolts left over after assembly

I've assembled the TS, but have the following nuts/bolts left over in the blister pack: three square head 1/4-20 x3/4 and three Nuts Hex Flange 1/4-20. They are in their own separate blister.

I was pretty meticulous on the assembly, but did a little each night. I've done a search of the PDF of the manaul and these size bolts are not mentioned in the manual. I even looked at every reference made in the manaul for the number "3" and there is no reference for 3 bolts of any size.

Is this normal? I can't think it is. I'd rather not start it up until I figure out what going on.

On a side note, the throat plate is not at all flat, in fact I can insert a 25 thou feeler guage between a straight edge placed on the long axis and the the "dish" or "cup" in the throat plate. I can't image that this degree of cupping is normal even for a stock plate.

Cheers Dennis

Re: 3650 - bolts left over after assembly

I had the same bolts left over after assembly. I read somewhere on this forum that they are for mounting an auxiallary fence. The square heads of the bolts should fits the slots on the factory fence. As far as the cupped insert, sounds like a defective part.

Enjoy making some sawdust!
    -O&B

Comment

My throat plate also dips down in the center, but not as much as yours. More like .010". I'm thinking of contacting Ridgid to see if they'll replace it.

For small pieces of wood this can cause some errors. Many folks make or buy zero clearance inserts and use them instead.

Comment

I think that most of the throat plates are like that. I bought one and it was low too - the company said to turn it over and place weights on it and it would flatten. It did but it turns out that the throat plate recess on my saw is low in the center. I used some tape to build it up and I have been making my own throat plates. It's all good though. BTW, I agree with the others on the bolts. Make yourself an auxillary fence and store them inthe fence. At least you'll be making sawdust!

Chiz
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

Yes, those 3 bolts are for mounting an aux. fence (or other things to the fence). They're handy to have...keep them someplace safe, but remember where you put them! You put your saw together just right. Time to make the sawdust!

As far as the throat plat is concerened, I think mine's a bit cupped as well. I have since been making my own "Zero Clearance Inserts" and don't really use the stock one much.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks the replies. I did a lot of reading (after I made the post, apologies, I should have read before) and read that yes indeed the extra bolts are for an aux fence.

The fence is about 12 thou out of being dead flat (assuming the right miter slot is true). That is, if I run a dial guage the length of the fence I get about a 12 thou range in the readings. It seems to be parallel however, and by this I mean the dial guage reads about the same when at the front and at the back. I wonder if this is within tolerance, or if I should use a sacraficial piece of melamine on the fence face (and use the three screws that were left over!) and shim it until its better than 12 thou out. I'm more used to dealing with tolerances with automotice stuff where 12 thou would be quite a lot in most cases. Its about half the difference between the kerf and plate thickness of a thin kerf blade. Maybe I am splitting hairs?

Comment

I placed the three bolts and nuts in a plastic bag along with a note signifying what they are for and hung the bag on the front fence holder bracket on the right front leg.

I hang the two arbor wrenches on the front fork of the miter holder on the left leg. (that is another thread on the site).

They don't get in the way and I can always find them when I need them.

Most of the fence attachments that I have made required longer bolts, standard 1/4 - 20 hex head bolts work well, and they are available at hardware stores everywhere.

Comment

You needed to search just a little harder here on the forum.

This thread would have helped you answer this Q, and given you the benefit of a number of members' experience with setting up their saw.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7585

The first post of this thread addresses the mysterious three bolts;

Some questions which seem to be more frequently asked during or immediately after assembly:
                Q1. What are those three extra bolts and nuts for? Did I miss something during assembly?
                Answer: No, the three bolts and nuts are supplied for mounting an axillary fence on the table saw fence. Keep them in a safe place until needed. You may also have a few extra brass shim washers when you are done, save them too.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Hi,

I was pretty meticulous about assembly of my TS3660. I have 3 flange nuts, 3 bolts, some shim washers AND 4 gray colored 1/4" washers (not shim washers). What did I miss?? The saw is assembled. Help is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Seftrom

Comment

Originally posted by sefstrom View Post
                    Hi,

I was pretty meticulous about assembly of my TS3660. I have 3 flange nuts, 3 bolts, some shim washers AND 4 gray colored 1/4" washers (not shim washers). What did I miss?? The saw is assembled. Help is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Seftrom
                    The 3 bolts are for attaching an auxiliary fence to the stock aluminum fence.

I don't know what the extra washers/nuts are for.

Comment

Working...
                    X