Fan scraping on new TS3650 table saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan scraping on new TS3650 table saw

After using my new TS3650 for a couple of weeks, it has begun to make a loud noise when i use it. After some research, I found the noise is coming from the fan rubbing against the motor body. I can make the noise go away by pushing the motor axle such that the fan moves away from the body, but after a little bit (30 seconds) of the motor being on, it comes back. Any ideas?

Re: Fan scraping on new TS3650 table saw

Onsight,

IMHO, that seems like a lot of end play on the motor shaft. Assuming the motor housing is not dented or misformed, you could check to make sure the fan is mounted in the correct position on the shaft, but I think I'd contact RIDGID to see about a replacement motor.

Steve

Comment

Regardless of what is causing the fan to rub against the motor body this shouldn't be happening. It sure sounds like a problem that would be covered under the 3 Year Warranty. You're lucky enough to have an authorized Ridgid Service Center in your backyard. I'd take the motor in to them and arrange to swap out the one you now have with a new one.
      Boulder Electric Motor Co
      3865 Walnut St
      Boulder
      CO,80301
      TEL: (303) 443-1331
      Fax: (303) 443-6178
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

It seems like there'd be an adjustment for that. If so, I'd just as soon do it myself. On a related note, what would the effect of adjusting where the motor mounts onto the hinged plate? (4 nuts) I played with that a little after it started making the noise.

Comment

I adjusted the fan by moving it out from the body on the motor shaft and it's no longer making the noise. I THINK all is well.

Comment

onsightman

I bet you have it fixed now. If you were to remove the fan, I bet you could see where it was scraping.

Comment

You have me confused. The fan on my TS3650 motor is inside the motor housing.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
              X