X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid planer problem

Hello all, I am new to this fourm and have a problem with my planer.

I am planning some oak (100 Bft). I take about 1/32 a pass and the first pass seemed to go fine. When I turned my wood and started the second pass the infeed rollers did not seem to want to pull the board in all the time. I had to push and pull to get the board through the planer. As soon as I would stop feeding the board in and tried to move to the outfeed side the board would stop. I stopped, cleaned my machine and rollers, replaced the knives and yet got the same results. I was not having any chip build up but yet the problem seemed to just start today.

My machine is 5 years old, gets moderate use and this is the first problem I have had with it.

Any ideas as to what might be the cause?

Re: Ridgid planer problem

After a while the rolls can get hard and loose their grip. When mine (Delta) does this I try 3 steps. First clean the rolls with isopropyl alcohol and lint free cloth. If that does not work then I use green scotchbrite and alcohol. If that does not work then i use rubber renue then alcohol to remove any residue and that has always brought the planer back to as new condition.
    I also use Johnson's paste wax or Bostick Top Coat to keep the platen slippery.

Comment

Re: Ridgid planer problem

Took the advise posted, cleaned and waxed my in/out feed table and plate. Cleaned my rollers with paint thinner and it works like new. I also took the discharge tube off and just let the chips fly. It works even better than with the vacumn hooked up. But since it produces fine dust too, I think I will get myself a cyclone cover for a large garbage can and collect my dust that way. Means less time emptying the shop vac.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X