No announcement yet.

looking for largest hand sander for heavy work

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for largest hand sander for heavy work

This is my first post,,i've been reading on here for a while,,always some intersting to learn.
    What i am looking for is a large,hand held,sander that will remove a lot of material in a hurry.
    I build fiberglass covered balconies and decks,,,and i have to sand the surface between coats.
    The fiberglass is very hard on sanding belts,,they get real hot and split appart.
    I'mm currently using a couple of Ridgid belt sanders which work great,,but it takes a long time,,also,,i have to keep changing belts every 5 minutes if i dont want them to split apaprt.
    I was thingking of one of those large floor belt sanders,,,
    Anyone have any ideas.

Re: looking for largest hand sander for heavy work

I have never done anything such as the work you are, but there is a floor sander that uses 4 7" discs instead one big belt. I remember seeing it on TOH or one of the other DIY shows. Sounds like it would be cheaper to be able to replace one or two disc pads than the big belt, also less change of digging in and it has a built-in vac so pick up the dust. I can just imagine eating that fiberglass dust all day. I can remember fiberglassing boats in the early 60's, nobody did anything about respiratory protection back then.

You might be interested in something like this which is different from the walk behind model I remember seeing;
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.