Any ideas for these legs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas for these legs?

A friend of my wife would like me to build this table. I have some ideas about building the legs but have never tackled anything like this. Any ideas about how I would go about making the legs without bending stock?
    Attached Files

Re: Any ideas for these legs?

Glue several pieces into the basic shape, then use a bandsaw. You could do each piece (legs, horizontals) individually, then glue them together after they're shaped. There'll be some tricky joints, though. If you have access to a scroll saw, you could do the horizontals in one piece. That way you'd have a larger surface to join to the legs.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Get a log and your pocket knife, a comfortable chair on the front porch and go at it (don't forget a beer or two).
      rnt80, wish I could help you out there, but when I see legs like that I stay away, no patience for me at all. If you complete that project, you will most certainly have to post your pics, and tell us what the tricks were to make them. Good luck w/your project.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Those legs almost look like cast metal to me...

I could be wrong...
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Unfortunately they're wood. A friend recommended that I use a flexible composite to sculpt the stretcher part of the leg. Luckily she is going to paint this thing when it's done.

Comment

basically a band saw, and a spoke shave and a sander, and some time.
            http://www.woodcraft.com/articleprin...?ArticleID=421 there will have to be a joint at the top of the leg and the cross piece.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...F.aspx?id=2663 (you may have to join to view).

http://www.woodshoptips.com/tips/060903/060903.pdf
            all hand work no band saw,
            http://www.rochesterwoodworkers.org/...Discussion.pdf
            Last edited by BHD; 05-29-2007, 12:38 AM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

this is where I would approx, have the joints, jsut below where the rails attach and go at 90 degree angles.

marked by a white line on picture,
              Attached Files
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I agree with BHD. I would also probably order the legs and refine the shape if necessary.

Comment

BHD, I think we're on the same page. The customer wants to paint the piece herself so I am debating whether I should glue up some stock for the legs or get some 12/4 or 16/4. What do you think?

Comment

If it is a paint job I really doubt if it matters, If you glue it up or use solid stock, use a good wood with tight grain so it paints well, even tho it will be painted I would suggest a hard wood.

but if it was to be stained, I would look into solid wood as the grain differences may show up, and not blend, well,

one other item since there will be a lot of hand work, using a spoke shave on glued up stock may prove more difficult, if there is multiple grains present, so solid has an advantage,

but in a paint up job if you want you can go back in and even use body putty if you want to correct problems, If you seal up the rest of the wood properly before painting, so it all has the same appearance.

Probably what I would do is if I had some stock on had, is to make a pattern, and then glue up one leg and make one if it works to your satisfaction then glue up the other three and make them,

but if it doesn't go well, try out a solid stock and see if it is doable. and work from there.

Making a good joint or attachment to the rails to the legs, I probably see as greater problem as shaping the legs, as it appears to be a fragile piece, yes the top (black) can actually support the rails, but to actually make a good durable attachment looks to me will be a bigger challenge, about the only way I see is to bore in to the back corner of the leg at the top of the leg jsut below where the rails will attach, and use a large dowel exiting out of the back of the leg at about 30 degree angle to mate in to the black top, because the black top is to appear as to float with in the frame work of the legs and the ornamental rails.

because as it looks in the picture, jsut to scoot it across a carpeted area a little ways looks like a leg or leg joint, could be a causality in short order,
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X