Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP Mortising Attachment - Useful?

Hi,

I bought a delta mortising attachment for my drill press (a store here was clearing them out for $25 so what the heck). I set it all up and gave t a try.
    It took a lot of pressure to get it even to start, and when it get going, it just burnt the wood and and turned the bit blue at the end (heat build up).
    This was in hardwood for both 1/4 and 1/2 sizes. I set it up as per the instructions and gave it about 1/32 clearance between bit and chisel.

Is there something else I need to do? Should it have more or less clearance? Do I need to run at a higher or lower speed?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Frank

Re: DP Mortising Attachment - Useful?

I find myself using the mortising attachment fairly often, actually. Any time I want a square somewhere, I'll use it. Often, I'll use the chisel itself as a hand tool to square corners for a hinge.

Sounds to me like your speed was definately off. I've never had trouble with burning. I use a speed chart, and for hardwood, twist drill bit, it says to use 3000RPM. I also use more than 1/32" clearance. Typically I'll set it up with an inch or so of clearance.

A good speed chart
    http://www.ibiblio.org/twa/info/drillSpeedChart.pdf
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Here's a handy "howto" from American Woodworker
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Well, that answers a lot!! They say to use a slower speed w/the auger bits. Thanks, Jbergstrom!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

sharpen the bit, sounds dull, it should cut easily,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
            Well, that answers a lot!! They say to use a slower speed w/the auger bits. Thanks, Jbergstrom!
            Sorry Sandy, did not want to contradict you
            I just happened to have that link handy as I recently bought a mortising attachment for my DP.

Very handy speed chart for drill bits, thanks
            Cheers! - Jim
            -------------
            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I agree with the speed charts for typical applications but don't the dedicated mortisers run at 3600 RPM (a few run 1800) ? Sorry I can't offer any advise as I don't have either tool just wondering out loud

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                I agree with the speed charts for typical applications but don't the dedicated mortisers run at 3600 RPM (a few run 1800) ?
                That was the case a few years ago, but I think that the majority of the benchtop mortisers out today run about 1700 RPM.

Comment

I have owned both types. The drill press attachment was a pain to install, adjust and remove. The hold-down did not work well and it put a lot of strain on the quill of my DP. I now use a bench top Delta (with the Austrian bits & chisels) and it works very well. It runs at 1725 RPM. I suspect that the burning may have been due to too high a speed or not enough clearance between the auger and the chisel.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I took the advice and tried a test piece with more clearance, about 1/16, and slower speed. I also ran the outside faces of the chisel over a sharpening stone.

It needs a bit of pressure to start, but once it gets going it cuts pretty well.

Thanks,
                    Frank

Comment

Good to hear you got it working
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------

Comment

Working...
                      X