X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Board Buddies

Hmm, never heard of "board buddies". Went and "googled" them and for me, I do NOT like crap in the way of me pushing the wood through! Just like those overhead "safety" contraptions that cover half the board with blade guards.

As far as kickback, that "may" happen but I don't see how they can stop it from coming back. AND, if you've ever had a goofy board clamp on the blade, having it stall the motor sucks! As soon as I hear it coming, I lift the board straight up so as not to max-amp the motor. I dunno, I still say there is too much "crap" being sold as "safety" stuff that actually just gets in the way.

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
      Hmm, never heard of "board buddies". Went and "googled" them and for me, I do NOT like crap in the way of me pushing the wood through! Just like those overhead "safety" contraptions that cover half the board with blade guards.

As far as kickback, that "may" happen but I don't see how they can stop it from coming back. AND, if you've ever had a goofy board clamp on the blade, having it stall the motor sucks! As soon as I hear it coming, I lift the board straight up so as not to max-amp the motor. I dunno, I still say there is too much "crap" being sold as "safety" stuff that actually just gets in the way.

Mark
      The board buddies video with the sheet of 1/4" plywood, where the guy starts feeding it with barely any control and then moves to the back of the saw scared the crap out of me.

Comment

Kickback is when the board rises up the back of the blade and when it reaches the top of the arc the board gets thrown by the forward moving blade. the back board buddie prevents the rise and also directs the board towards the fence. I don't do woodworking for a living so setup time does not bother me if might lower the chance of injury. I witnessed kickback a few times and in 8th grade shop class our teacher who had 30 + years experience cut his thumb clean-off right in front of us (the class). He was demonstrating how to use the table saw!

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
          The board buddies video with the sheet of 1/4" plywood, where the guy starts feeding it with barely any control and then moves to the back of the saw scared the crap out of me.

CPW....were is the video? I looked for a web site but came up empty.

I did see some for sale and still dont like the idea of them. I don't think they can provide enough down force to stop a 5hp TS from pushing a clamped up tweeked piece of Oak back through the blade. Also, the track that mounts to the fence???? I have a Jet TS and the fence is only held tight at my end. The other end, like a Besmyer, will rise if pulled up on.

Like I said earlier, to me, it seems that so much is pushed as "safety" when they can actually get in the way and screw things up. Best thing anyone can do is learn how to use the tool correctly and to respect anything sharper then a butter knife!! LOL

Mark
          Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
            CPW....were is the video? I looked for a web site but came up empty.
            I looked, but can't find it anymore either.

Comment

You're correct Wood Meister, using proper procedure is #1 but the board buddie is designed to prevent the board from drifting away from the fence and keeping it down, it helps the user keep things under control. I have the TS3660 so my fence locks down front and back so fence lift is not an issue. The board buddie will help prevent the kick back that is cause by the rise of the work piece to the top of the arc were all the force is towards the user. I'm sure board buddies can't prevent all kick back, like if the user does'nt use proper support for ripping long lumber and expects the board buddies to hold the weight. The board buddies are not the "end-all" solution to kick back but if used properly (like all tools) they add more control.

Comment

The BBs are like any safety device, they are not perfect. When I used them they did an excellent job of keeping the wood toward the fence, which is also a factor in preventing kickback. BUT, the splitter is still the best way to prevent kickback. Nothing will prevent kickback like a splitter or riving knife.
                www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I have only seen BBs on this forum. There is a similar product (anti-kickback hold-down) sold by Woodworker Supply, item #96974. Does anyone know of this product. A long time ago it was sold by Leichtung.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X