Board Buddies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board Buddies

What's everyone's favorite way of mounting Board Buddies to the fence of a TS3650? Do you mount them to the top of the fence only, or build an auxilliary fence as it suggests in the Board Buddies directions?

I picked up a set cheap at a garage sale and I'm open for suggestions.

Terry

Re: Board Buddies

So far I've simply attached them to the fence itself, but if the tension is to great,it seems like it makes the fence harder to lock down and in some cases they literally push the fence up. I'm gearing up to make the aux fence. if you try it let us know how it works

A nuby

Comment

I checked the fence on my TS3660 and I'm able to lift the saw up with out the fence coming up. I just ordered board buddies 3 days ago and I will let you know how they work on my saw.

Comment

I had one of my board buddies break. The casting is garbage.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

In my opinion, the Board buddies are good only when you cut MDF, Plywood or Chipboard...In this case they keeps the workpiece against the fence and reduce the "Operator Induced Kickback"

But, if you are ripping Solid Wood that is a "Reaction Wood" type, I don't think that the board buddies will save you from kickback...not only but if - as Rafael said - one of them broke under "normal conditions", the kickback forces might rip them off the fence and who knows what can happen...

To prevent a "Reaction Wood Induced kickback", one have to use different ripping technique.

Regards
          niki

Comment

In my opinion if the board buddies prevent the piece from rising up the back of the blade there will be no danger of kick back which is the rapid horizontal movement of the piece towards the user. If the piece being cut is reactionary and is kept down against the table it will be continually cut by the blade. It's only dangerous when the piece is allowed to rise to the top of the blade's arc.
            Last edited by cutnail; 10-04-2008, 05:40 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi Cutnail

Maybe you are correct but after reading on "WoodNet" forum that a guy got a kickback that shuttered the Anti-kickback pawl and the blade guard (and he "got" it...), I don't know if the board buddies are much stronger...
              I bookmarked the thread but it was more that 1 year ago and woodnet automatically deletes older that 1 year posts...

Anyway - as I said - if the BB broke under normal stresses, I think that under a "kickback conditions" that the stresses are much stronger, it might brake too.

As I understand, if a reaction wood "springs" to the right (toward the fence), it will "back press" on the back teeth of the blade and I'm not sure that they will cut....I think that they will try to lift (or push) the wood up and it depends on the strength of the "hold-down" device if the wood will kickback or not (that's why the "big guys" are using Power Feeder).

I think that a "reaction wood" that springs out, is similar to a situation that the rip fence is "toed-in" that is very dangerous and can lead to a "good" kickback.

It's only my opinion of course.

Here is the one that I made...as I said - I use it only with man-made boards.

Regards
              niki
              Name:  541d196ae5cea1440bb0838d9f8c0785.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  64.5 KB
              Last edited by niki; 10-05-2008, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Hi Niki,

I can see by your homemade jig that you agree with the Board Buddies method. Have you ever tested how much up force your rear wheel holds before the metal bar flexes up? Have you ever tested the hold down force of the Board Buddies?
                Thanks
                Cutnail

Comment

My buddy broke from my own strength. I am of average strength.
                  My sense is that these things fatigue over time and eventually I think they become dangerous. They appear to be made out of cast aluminum, which I dont think is known for it's strength.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Hi Rafeal,

The Board Buddies are advertised and sold as a “safety” device and should perform accordingly. When you stated that it broke under your own strength do you mean it broke while you were clamping your work piece? Do you know how many working hours this devise had on it before it failed? I ordered a set of Board Buddies a few days ago and I’m still waiting to receive them. Before I ordered them, I read reviews at various sites that sell them, and they were all good, so I ordered them. I’m the type of person that will NOT accept inferior goods. When something works properly I will make it known to all who will listen, conversely if a product works poorly and is DANGEROUS I will demand recourse!!! I’ll let you know.
                    Thanks

Comment

Hi Cutnail

No, I did not test the force that the iron will bent but, I'm not using them as an "Anti-kickback" device but only as an helper to control large man-made boards that I cannot use the "Feather Rollers"...

And, because I use them only for man-made boards that - as you know - almost, there is no risk of kickback I don't care so much about the force because, they just help me to minimize the "operator induced" kickback.

I just know that when I set them to 1/4"~5/16" below the workpiece thickness, the iron springs but does not bend beyond the "yield point" (like the BB, they press the workpiece down and to the fence).

As for the Board Buddies, we don't have them around here (nor use them) so, obviously I don't have any idea what is the "press-down" force...

I wish you to enjoy your new BB"s

Regards
                      niki

Comment

I was loosening one of the buddies nuts(dont take that out of context) when the body of the buddy broke.
                        I'd had them for about 2 years and used them only for rip cuts, they did not get alot of use. They worked well when I used them. I used them to keep the wood pushing toward the fence and to keep wood from rising off the table.
                        Because I think the body of the thing is cheap I would recommend using a splitter also.
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Hi Djame,
                          I just wondering what kind of TS you are using the BBs ON. I have the Ridgid TS3660.
                          Thanks

Comment

Hello Woodcellar,
                            It sounds like the material of the body has a serious quality issue. The body should be the last thing to give way. I’m already committed to the purchase of the BB so I will experience them first hand. Thank you for the info. I hope others chime-in with their experiences with the BB.

Comment

Today I received the board buddies and the T-bolts that I ordered from right-tool.com. The t-bolts fit the top slots of my fence which made installation a breeze. The board buddies adjusted very easily and when I made a few test cuts they did a great job of keeping the work down and tight to the fence. I'm pleased with the purchase.

Comment

Working...
                              X