Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridges after using planer

Hello,

Starting my first project, a dining table, with my new Ridgid tools. Using 2" rough soft maple. Noticed that after I've taken several 1/32" cuts with the 13" planer, there are small grooves left on 25% the face of the board that need to be sanded out. Is this normal?

Thanks.

Re: Ridges after using planer

Keep in mind that your planer blades rotate as the wood passes thru. Since the blades are not scraping, they're actually cutting little grooves in the wood to achieve the thickness you desire. I've had this in rough cedar and it was quite noticeable, had to sand the wood to remove the grooves. And to answer your question, I do believe this is normal. Hope this helps...
    If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I'm a little confused as to what you refer as grooves. Both of the above posts mention the possibilities. If its along the entire length of the board the means something knicked the knives and they all have a low spot. If its accross the boards in the direction of the cutterhead and towards the ends of the board it sounds more like snipe caused by the boards not being porperly supported.

Comment

I agree with wbrooks' response to your first post about this issue. I would check out the knives and offset if needed.

As far as the extra set of knives goes, I remember someone saying that they were packaging a extra set with the planers. If yours had them, I hope they did not get thrown in the trash with the packaging materials.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
          If its accross the boards in the direction of the cutterhead and towards the ends of the board it sounds more like snipe caused by the boards not being porperly supported.

I agree with snipe if it's at the ends of the wood. The original post says he has the grooves for the last 25% of the board, that would be to much for snipe.

paulbes, can you give us more of a description or some pics of the issue? There are several scenarios that could cause your problem.

Later...

Comment

I did include a picture. This does seem like a blade issue. This is a new planer and the second board I've planed. No knots and using clean soft maple. Thanks!
            Attached Files

Comment

OK, thought you were talking about across the face of the board. That picture looks like your blades are full of chips. Was the first board full of nails or had it been laying in a gravel driveway? Take the blades off and turn them around. They are double sided.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

No gravel or nails. All very clean wood. Does the manual do a good job of describing cleaning blades? Any tricks to make is easy? Thanks Papa

Comment

If you decide to try and clean the blades be careful, those puppies are sharp. Mine does this once in a while too and generally come off on the next pass, otherwise I sand them out. Not to sure what causes it, as papadan says, chips in the blade. From what I've read, changing or rotating the blades is not that difficult. Let us know what you come up with..

Comment

Thank you for the help. There were small chips in the blades. Don't know how that would happen with a new tool. Anyway, changed the blades which was very easy and it is working great. Thanks again.

Comment

Glad it worked out for you.

Regards,

Comment

I'd contact Ridgid Customer Service for a replacement set of blades if this was the way they arrived...

Simon

Comment

Working...
                        X