X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Switch Broken

I spent a wonderful 2 hrs putting together my saw this weekend and discovered the power switch was broken when i tried to turn it on. basically i inserted the yellow key into the switch and tried to pull out on the switch. it wouldnt pull out. i noticed that the tooth inside the switch was stuck and in turn was bending the key. has this happened to anyone else?
    customer service was a joke. they told me it would take 7-10 days to receive a new switch from them. great $500 saw brand new will not work becuase of a $2 part. i am tempted to take the saw back to HD and get another. bad thing is i have so much time invested in the assembly - but it would cost ridgid more money to - so its a toss up -----

let me know your thoughts and if the saw is worth all these hassels.

Re: Power Switch Broken

Of course the saw is worth it. It's a shame you got a bum switch but no company doesn't have an issue every now and then. If you ask nicely maybe the manager at the HD you purchased your saw from will let you use the switch off their demo until your new switch arrives.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

zotee98,

You may want to try to give the Coustomer Service number from Ridgid a call. When I purchased my Router Combo some time back, there was something missing (cant remember what) adn I bought the last one in the store.

I knew better than to try the store I purchased from and did not want to drive to others in the area. I called the customer service number and they were very happy to overnight me the part (no charge)with no questions asked.

Regards,
      Last edited by biscuit; 05-31-2007, 03:24 PM. Reason: still cant spell :)

Comment

Buy a new saw, use its good parts to complete the saw you originally bought, put the broken parts back in the second saw's box and return the second saw. No waiting for customer service, no arguing with store staff, limited saw downtime.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
          Buy a new saw, use its good parts to complete the saw you originally bought, put the broken parts back in the second saw's box and return the second saw. No waiting for customer service, no arguing with store staff, limited saw downtime.
          Wow! That's a bit dramatic... I'm with Badger Dave. No process is perfect in spite of how much we/they want it to be. Don't let the last 1 minute ruin your 1 hour: 59 minutes of quality shop time... Keep the moral high ground and go talk to the HD Tool Dept Head and see if you can strike a deal.

Steve

Comment

thanks for all the great comments - i did try calling ridgid customer service and when asked if they would overnight the part they laughed and said no we dont do that. you must have been lucky -

Comment

Must have been, bummer for you though.

Heck, in the last month I called Bosch parts division to order a new foot for a jigsaw that I dropped and cracked the aluminum base on. I got cust svc. and told her that the saw was about 5 yrs. old and I need a part for it. I told here what the part number was and she said it was in stock and would cost something like $45.00 plus shipping.

Out of the blue, she tells me to call up this other number and tell them how much I love the saw and want to know if the part available. She stressed that I brag on the saw, which is not a problem, best damn saw I ever owned.
              Long story short, saw carries a 1 year warranty, I had it for 5, I broke it, they overnighted me one for free and just said to tell my friends how good the saw is and enjoy the parts.

Anyway, didnt mean to hijack you problem thread adn I hope all works out for you very soon.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
                Must have been, bummer for you though.

Heck, in the last month I called Bosch parts division to order a new foot for a jigsaw that I dropped and cracked the aluminum base on. I got cust svc. and told her that the saw was about 5 yrs. old and I need a part for it. I told here what the part number was and she said it was in stock and would cost something like $45.00 plus shipping.

Out of the blue, she tells me to call up this other number and tell them how much I love the saw and want to know if the part available. She stressed that I brag on the saw, which is not a problem, best damn saw I ever owned.
                Long story short, saw carries a 1 year warranty, I had it for 5, I broke it, they overnighted me one for free and just said to tell my friends how good the saw is and enjoy the parts.

Anyway, didnt mean to hijack you problem thread adn I hope all works out for you very soon.

Regards,
                There ya go - you just told all of us! I've had good luck with Bosch as well. Very happy with their products and customer service.

Steve

Comment

Grizzly sells what appears to be the exact same switch for $3.95
                  I know this is not something you should have to or want to pay for but I am putting it out there for anyone who comes along later viewing this thread.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G8988
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X