Ridgid 14" BS-- Bottom wheel wiggles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 14" BS-- Bottom wheel wiggles

For several months I have thought that I was a bad bandsawer, as my cuts were poor and not consistant. While that is still a very distinct possibility , I have come to realize that my bottom wheel on my bandsaw does not rotate square to the saw base, it "wiggles".

For clarification, I do not mean that it is loose, just that when it rotates the wheel moves in and out slightly (left to right/right to left).

Now, although I am a complete noob when it comes to anything mechanical, it seems to me that either of two situations would cause this: (1) wheel that is bent and (2) ball bearing problems.

I would be most appreciative of anyone that can (a) check my logic above and/or offer me a suggestion as to how to tell which is causing the problem ... or offer a third alternative.

Thanks. I've only posted a few times but have found this forum extremely useful.

George

Re: Ridgid 14" BS-- Bottom wheel wiggles

1) The wheel may not be tight or true on the shaft. See if you can tighten it up some.

2) It may be warped. Take it off and lay it on the ground, see if it's flat. If not, see if Ridgid will provide a replacement.

Another way to check the lower wheel would be to place a really long straight edge (I use a 5' level) across both upper and lower wheels. If one's out, use the little knob in the middle on the back of the upper section (where the tension rod is) to bring them into alignment.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks... but when I tighten the nut the wheel gets real tight and seems to be stuck against the side of the "flange" (not sure if that is correct term... but I hope you get the gist)

Also, IF it were ball bearings.. how could I tell?

George

Comment

Originally posted by geoloh View Post
        Thanks... but when I tighten the nut the wheel gets real tight and seems to be stuck against the side of the "flange" (not sure if that is correct term... but I hope you get the gist)

Also, IF it were ball bearings.. how could I tell?

George
        George,

Is the whole wheel moving right/left? Or could it be a bulge in the tire? Just a thought before you tear it all apart.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X