X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one done

As most of you know, I like to make boxes. I don't know why....it's just something that I like to do. Here's some pictures of the latest. I also threw in a couple pics of the shop.

The box is maple and black walnut. The black walnut is some wood my Dad gave me. Bugs got into it pretty bad, so he didn't want to use it. For my little boxes, it's perfect!! Everything on the box is hand-made...including the handle. As you can see from the picture, it's finished with tongue oil and paste wax.
    Attached Files
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Re: Another one done

Wonderful job there, Sandy. I like the handle style, looks complimenting to the box.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Beautiful job. I like your sense of proportion with the box dimensions and the handle.

Comment

Very nice Sandy
        Nice details...

Nice collection of tools as well
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Thanks!!! Proportion was the main goal on this particular project. I'm really glad it worked.

Comment

I like the contrast between the woods. Very nice. If you have more pics I'd like to see how the lid works!
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I liked very much the piece of walnut that shows on the face. It adds uniqueness to this nicely done project.

Later,
              Chiz

PS I envy your shop space. Lots of room.
              Later,
              Chiz

Comment

Great job Sandy. Box looks very nice. Do your boxes each have a specific purpose in mind when you make them or are they just nice boxes to do with whatever the end user chooses? Just curious I suppose...
                Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

The boxes serve whatever purpose the end-user has in mind. This particular one is going into a silent auction to benefit a local town organization. They want an estimate on it's "worth." With about 25 hours into it, and the fact that this wood is a one-time kind of product, I'm not at all sure where to begin estimating it. Mostly because of the rarity of this particular wood. Any hints on how I might put a dollar figure on it?

Comment

Based on the pictures and uniqueness of the wood, and if you are satisfied with the quality of the box I would put the price at $500.00. Another thing to take into consideration is past sales and the socioeconomic status of the potential bidders. You don't want to price it too cheaply otherwise former customers will be upset that they paid more for their boxes.

My niece, who makes and sells jewelry, sells some of my little banks for me at craft shows. At some venues, by invitation only for vendors, I price the banks at $200.00. People at these shows anticipate quality and are willing to spend the money for them. That price is for walnut banks that take a lot of time with dovetailed bottoms, through wedged tennons on top and an arched top finished with oil and wax. As far as I can tell there are no flaws in the $200.00 banks. All the joints fit perfectly. At other venues I price oak banks that are just glued together and shellaced for $125.00. Knowing your prospective customers is key. Zebrawood banks that have been laquered - the "Christmas Tree Shop" treatment - sell rapidly because they are unique and shiny. I hate to make them like that but people enjoy having them so who am I to argue? I was fortunate to have found some quartersawn mahogany and made a bank from that. The oil I use turned the bank a slight pink color. I laquered it which really made the ray flecks sparkle and put a price on it of $250.00. The first woman who saw the box bought it.

You have produced a one-of-a-kind box. Whatever you price your box at don't give your work away.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Comment

Beautiful Sandy. Unique, truly one of a kind.
                      ken
                      Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Very very nice Sandy. I like the way it looks just right, but when you talk proportional do you mean you built it against that 1 : 1.618 rule? What is it called? Fabrege, Fannuci, Fettuccini, oh hec I don't know? It just looks cool. What I'd call American with an Asian flair. Also, what types of joinery did you use?

Comment

500 ??? WOW i gotta move to different location lol. I been to some auctions by me in Michigan and stuff like that goes less than 500. I would have to make a decent sized table to sell for 500 around here. Decent meaning a missionary style 2ft by 4ft coffee table made from oak or walnut. Something like that. Goes to show the meaning of Location Location Location !! But it is a wonderful item ! good job!

Comment

Originally posted by hellcatt200 View Post
                            500 ??? WOW i gotta move to different location lol. I been to some auctions by me in Michigan and stuff like that goes less than 500. I would have to make a decent sized table to sell for 500 around here. Decent meaning a missionary style 2ft by 4ft coffee table made from oak or walnut. Something like that. Goes to show the meaning of Location Location Location !! But it is a wonderful item ! good job!
                            Yeah...it's not going in for $500!!! I'll be way happy if it goes for more than $100. I appreciate the compliments though!!!

Comment

Sandy

Whoa

Only $100 for 25 hours of labor and the nice wood??? Don't go giving yourself away. It's worth far more than that. It really depends on who is at the auction and how they feel about your box. Maybe you can make up more items to take with you. What matters is that NO where could someone find an exact replacement. It's one thing to make loads of that box all the same in a woodworking factory. It's totally different to make a one of a kind at home where you had to really put yourself into the project.

Keep up the good work and please keep posting pictures of it. Take several good close-up (whole item, but just the item) and different views. We all love to really see hand made projects.

Comment

Working...
                              X