Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 fence is aligned... or is it???

Ugh.

I spent a good couple of hours tonight fine tuning my 3650. A friend from work lent me his A-line-it gauge from Rockler so I could get it nuts on.

The blade took a lot longer than I thought and was a bit frustrating, but after tinkering with it, I got it down to .001". I was thrilled.

Then I went to align the fence. Again, took a while but finally got it down to where the back end was about .002" from the front. Really cool, especially considering the back is aiming out to help fight kickback and burning.

Life was cool.

Then, I figured I would "make sure" the fence was aligned so I moved it over to the other side of the blade and put the a-line-it in the other miter slot. And that's when it all went to hell.

Now the fence was .015" off front to back. I measured it several times. Figuring I messed up the fence, I moved it back to the other side and measured again. Off by .002". Uhh... okay. Moved back again to the other side of the fence, and still off by .015".

WTF???

Anyone have any ideas as to why it would be so far off from one position to the next? Are my miter slots jacked up? I was sooo happy for about 2 minutes, and then the second fence measurement took the air out of my balloon.

Thanks.

Mike

Re: 3650 fence is aligned... or is it???

The two sides of the fence are two seperate aluminum extrusions. All I can figure is the extrusion on the right side of the fence is wavy. You may have to rely on a "sacrificial fence" on that side. Basically, a piece of MDF (or other material, just make sure it'll keep it's shape, i.e. a man-made material) specifically shaped to counter the angle of that extrusion, then, using those pesky left-over bolts, mount it to that side.

You may be able to take that side of the fence off and work it a bit to flatten it. I haven't reviewed the parts diagram recently, so I'm not sure how fiddly that is to remove. If it's a simple thing to do, I'd recommend trying that to at least get some of the skew out.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Align your fence to the side of the blade that you'll be making the vast majority of you cuts on and leave it at that. When I setup my saw, I aligned everything so that any cut on the RH side of the blade was squared to the fence and blade.

I don't know why your fence is off from one side to the other but I think Sandy is probably correct when she assumes that both sides of the fence are not the same.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Actually, I used the left side of the fence for both checks so that is what had me concerned.

But I agree that I won't be cutting with the fence to the left of the blade anyway, so since it is aligned on the right I should be okay.

Thanks for the help, though. At least you put my mind at ease that for the majority of my work I'll be just fine!

Comment

When you move the fence back to the right side of the blade is it still aligned? I'd also try moving, locking the fence down a few times, and checking the alignment from various positions to see if you're getting it to lock down perfectly parallel to the blade everytime.

Comment

I just setup my saw and my fence is aligned to about 0.002" on the right and about 0.006" on the left. One problem might be your rails. If your rails (primarily the front) are not perfectly straight your saw might be off some. Because of the T fence, any error in the rail is magnified, probably about 6x. I used a 4' calibrated straight edge from Lee Valley and feeler gauges at each bolt to get the size of the shims for the rails so I know they are straight. For two points I used paper to get 3mil shims, and the supplied washers were the right size for the others.

As mentioned above, the fence extrusion appears to be two part, and open on the bottom. I found that the error at the top of the fence what somewhat less than the bottom, so potentially I could expand (or contract) the bottom width of the fence to compensate. I haven't tries as yet.

These things might work for you.

George

Comment

Working...
            X