What to use for cabinet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to use for cabinet

I am new to the Ridgid forums and I am just starting to get into a little bit of woodworking, and for my first big project I was thinking of making a gun cabinet for myself.

What I was wondering is what kind of wood I should use for the walls of the cabinet. I was looking at using 3/4" plywood and staining it.

What would be the best plywood to get for a project like this?

Re: What to use for cabinet

Birch plywood would give you a nice finish and look really good. Use solid birch for the face frame and doors though.

Murph

Comment

You might also consider other cabinet grade plywoods such as walnut, cherry, maple etc. and face the cabinet with that corresponding hardwood.
      Check your yellow pages or the web for a good source of cabinet grade plywoods and hardwood lumber in your area.
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by willow1 View Post
        I am new to the Ridgid forums and I am just starting to get into a little bit of woodworking, and for my first big project I was thinking of making a gun cabinet for myself.

What I was wondering is what kind of wood I should use for the walls of the cabinet. I was looking at using 3/4" plywood and staining it.

What would be the best plywood to get for a project like this?
        I like to go look at the sheathings, take a good look at the grain patterns, then decide what type I'm going with, may it be Birch, MAPLE, Cherry or what ever is available that I think would look good. Kind of like going to the grocery store on an empty stomach. If you right off the bat say I want Maple, then you may have missed out on an awesome grain pattern that was in the Birch pile. Who cares if you dig way down in the pile also, to get the good ones, it maybe near the bottom.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
        X