X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Making a Zero Clearance Insert

Fantastic way to use those old scraps of pergo! I was going to use 1/2" MDF, but the pergo is slicker!
    How about the tab for the back of the throat plate?
    Gonna make some today!

Comment

Originally posted by hawgnutz View Post
      Fantastic way to use those old scraps of pergo! I was going to use 1/2" MDF, but the pergo is slicker!
      Gonna make some today!

I'm interested in this as well being a new 2400LS owner.

My throat plate had a hump near the middle on the rip fence side. I jigged a setup in my 4" vice to take some of the bend out. I got some of it out, but there's still a bit of gap there- I'd say less than a 64th. All four corners are pretty much dead nuts though.

I know that I won't get the precision that I would've with the 3650 table, but I had to have something portable and well-built. Heck, I know the table itself isn't completely flat. It's off a bit across the fence-side miter slot. Given that, what I'm most concerned with is getting the very center portion (between the miters) as flat as possible.

Although the included miter gauge seems well built, I want to get an even nicer gauge. I plan on buying either the Osborne, Incra 1000, or the Woodhaven. In the meantime, I'll continue tweaking and learning the saw layout. My first project will probably be a cross-cut sled for it.

Great forum BTW.

Comment

Welcome to the forums, HokieJoe! I hope your crosscut sled comes out well. Take some pics of it if you can.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
          Welcome to the forums, HokieJoe! I hope your crosscut sled comes out well. Take some pics of it if you can.
          Thanks, glad to be here!!!

I've bookmarked a bunch of crosscut sled plans that I found on Google. Most of them are pretty similar, so I'll probably just build the one with the easiest instructions.

Comment

I did some checking and found inserts at peachtree woodworking supply for only $15 each, so i ordered 2. sounds eazyer than makeing some. and they are made out of the slick stuff !!!!! don't order the one from woodworkers supply, It doesn't fit !!!! tried that.

Comment

Originally posted by hawgnutz View Post
              Gonna make some today!
              I recently bought one of the LeeCraft brand throat plates. Rather than a tab on the back end, they just drilled a hole into the edge and inserted a roll pin. Should work OK. I'm usually pretty frugal, but this thing is well thought out and well made and worth the $19 I paid....and they are currently $16.

Also, they are orange for the TS3650, not white as pictured, and have a finger hole to remove them. They fit tightly enough that you don't need to use a screw hold down, and they're dead flat.
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...170468-5826509

Comment

Working...
              X