Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3612 motor pulley came loose

hey all!

i was using my TS3612 last night, and i started to hear a rattling sound. so, i checked the motor and belt, but couldn't really see anything.

after i was done with the saw and started cleaning up, i noticed a little black piece of plastic on the floor. it turned out it was part of the belt cover, where the motor shaft is closest to it.

the pulley on the motor shaft loosened, and the square little pin that locks the pulley to the shaft vibrated outward, then cut out a section of the belt cover.

i'm going to loc-tite the mounting screw, but i was wondering about aligning the pulley and pin to the motor shaft -- should they all be flush at the end?? or, should i try to just make everything line-up with the pulley for the blade??

thanks in advance for any advice / help!!

oh, has anyone else had this happen??

[ 02-04-2003, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: arthropod98 ]

Hi: I'm not familiar with your saw but if there's room here's what I would do. Put a straight edge right across the pulley on the blade (touching the pulley on both sides at the widest point you can. Then just line up the straight edge across the motor shaft area & line up that pully to the straight edge. This will line the two up which is what you want.

Ross

[ 02-04-2003, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: Ross J ]

Comment

thanks, ross . . . i was pretty sure of getting things lined-up, but just wanted to make sure.

that coulda been a REAL nightmare if that pulley came off the motor shaft!

Comment

Just a little modification of the suggestion----get a straight piece of 1/4 to 3/8" dowel and use it to align the pulleys---it sits very nicely in the V groove. I then take a small square/straight edge and put it on the side of the motor pulley and move the motor or saw pulley until the dowel is parallel with the dowel.

BTW---look at your set screw and make sure the bottom is in good shape. I'd tighten the set screws as much as possible, but since you may have to remove them some day, personally, I'd stay away from lock-tite.
        Dave

Comment

Hi: an idea if you're worried about the pulley coming off is to place a small round piece of brass in the threaded hole and then tighten the set screw on top of that with or without Loc-tight. The brass will be pushed into the key rather than having the set screw turning on the key.
          Ross

[ 02-04-2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Ross J ]

Comment

First, if you're not familiar with the alignment process, then maybe it wasn't aligned and tightened when you put it together? There is really no reason to need locktite on the setscrew. (if you do, use the blue and not the red, or you'll need a torch to move it.) As far as alignment, you can't use the dowel method suggested above because the 3612 doesn't have a v-pulley. Just use a straight edge and get it as close as possible.

Comment

Dave(ferg, not me), Ridgid tablesaws don't use v-belts, they use poly-vees. A dowel wouldn't get a lot of purchase in the small grooves, I think.

Arthro, bad news it happened at all, but dropping a pulley isn't a huge disaster. Even if you were actually cutting at the moment the blade just stops. Actually, it is gentler than a power failure, since the motor's inertia isn't driving any more.

Keep an ear out for any funny ticking sounds, or a bit of vibration, these often indicate a sheave that has become loose.

Dave

Comment

thanks for all the responses everyone!

i'll probably still use loc-tite, but it'll only be the medium strength -- i've used that before, and it holds, but isn't impossible to loosen.

i'll have to check the manual, but i don't remember it saying anything about having to align the belt, so i never worried about it -- will definitely keep an eye on it now.

definitely not a huge deal, and i still LOVE this saw! freud blade on there, and i couldn't ask for a smoother, cleaner cut!

thanks again!!

Comment

TS3612-0 manual, page 38, item 4.

The manual has you sight it parallel, a lot of people are more comfortable using a straightedge. I am if for not other reason than it is a pain in the back to get down to where I can sight the sheaves.

Dave

Comment

thanks, dave! musta flew right over that page -- big surprise!

Comment

Your on the right track with loc-tite, another method, if the threaded hole is deep enough, is to put one set screw on top of another.

Comment

Working...
                      X