Jolt when saw is turned on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolt when saw is turned on

I just bought the ts3560 and when i turned it on - there is a jolt when the motor engages - is this normal? i expected a smooth start and was surprised at this jolt.

Re: Jolt when saw is turned on

It depends upon how you define 'jolt.' I can set a nickel on its side on the table and then turn the saw on without the nickel falling over. I recently converted my 3650 to 240V. Others have said 240v seems to make the saw start up faster. I don't know if it does, but 240 volts is still is not enough to knock the nickel over.

Comment

no i definatley couldnt set a coin on the saw and not have it fall over - it is enough to make the motor spring bounce- i am wondering if i have the belt to loose or to tight?

Comment

Mine does the same thing but not that hard. When I turn on the saw it starts up pretty fast and there is a small bump as the belt tightens and starts turning the pullys and blade. This is normal, I have played with 6 or these saw's and all have acted the same way.

Now when you say jolt as in the saw jumps up off the floor, there is something wrong. I would check the motor adjustment and alignment.

JW

Comment

It sounds to me like something is not aligned correctly. I would repeat the steps from the manual on assembling the motor and the drive belt.
          Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
          ------- Henry Ford

Comment

I heard of this happening before and was usually a belt-tightening issue. I think the issue was not having it tight enough, but in any event check your belt per the owner's manual.

Comment

Yes, mine was the belt tension.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Mine does same thing . 3650 and i rechecked things 3 times. All is within specs according to the books. Mine is enough to make a nickel fall but not much worse that that. Compared to my old TS ..well we wont go there lol. But anymore i dont really pay attention to start up .

Comment

Mine does the same thing. It wasn't much of a concern until it threw the belt.

I double checked the belt tension and pulley alignment and I'm sure they are correct. The motor was mounted slightly crooked, so I tweaked it too.

Without the belt the motor starts & runs smooth. The arbor seems to rotate freely as well. If I grasp the blade and turn the arbor manually (no power, no belt) I'll get two or three full turns before stopping, so I don't believe its an arbor bearing problem.

I've followed all the advice in this thread to no avail:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10722

I'm not an electrician, but is it possible the capacitor is providing the motor with too much juice on startup?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Mine starts & runs smooth.

Comment

Working...
                    X