X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dado Sacrificial Fence

The way I did it was I built a typical 3-piece enclosure for the stock fence (two sides and the top), then I attach 3/4 MDF to the blade-side to use as the actual sacrificial since it's easily replacable. If you need a thicker sacrificial, add another piece of MDF. I can tighten the entire piece down to the fence using screws on the other side that fasten through t-nuts and have little rubber caps on the end that protect the stock fence.

Comment

Has anyone found a Dado blade throat plate for the TS3650? I see the Rockler has one that looks like it will work but, as a new 3650 owner, I'm not sure it will fit. Also thanks for the information on the Rockler sacrificial fence clamps. I am in the process of ordering a set right now.
      I just took another look at the blade insert and see that the mounting screw holes are in the wrong place. Any suggestions.
      Thanks,
      Sparky1945

Comment

sparky1945, you could make your own blank inserts and cut zero clearance dado inserts for each size dado you run across. If you don't want to make your own zero clearance dado inserts you could buy some ready made blank inserts. One source for those is here.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

BadgerDave Thanks for the quick response. I didn't think about making them myself but sounds like a good idea. What is the best material to use? I'm thinking Plexiglass might work well.
          Sparky1945

Comment

I don't think that Plexiglas would be a good choice. Doesn't it shatter quite easily?

Almost any hardwood would work very well for a ZCI as would MDF.

Comment

Plexiglas (Polymethyl Mercacrylate) is very brittle and will shatter when you try to run the blade though it. Lexan (polycarbonate) is softer, more flexible and tougher, but is expensive. High Density Polyethylene (the stuff they make the plastic cutting boards from) works very well for saw blade inserts, but you have to clean up the melted shavings after making the insert. Have not tried it for dado blades, tho. Best thing I have found for dado inserts is furniture grade plywood. If you need a 1/2" thick insert, either start with the "1/2" " (actually 15/32 or less) ply and put duct tape on the ends to get it level with the table, or start with the "3/4" and then set it on edge and run it by the blade to get the right thickness.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Badgerdave thanks again I'll try MDF.

Gofor thank you also more food for thought.
                Last edited by sparky1945; 11-05-2007, 04:26 AM.

Comment

I use scraps of Corian countertop for zero clearance inserts and dado inserts.
                  It was the right thickness and it is nice and slippery when wood passes over it.

If you don't have scraps in your shop, look in the yellow pages for counter top manufacturers or custom counter tops. They may have scraps (Sink cutouts) for sale. (although you will be competing with the kitchen cutting board makers).

Hey Dave, do you ever sleep? I see a few early AM posts.
                  Last edited by billmoy; 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM. Reason: Additions

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                    Hey Dave, do you ever sleep? I see a few early AM posts.
                    Hey billmoy, I sure do, what you won't see from me is late PM posts. Early to bed, early to rise...................... yada yada yada!

Comment

11-05-2007, 12:24 AM
                      sparky1945
                      Trade: Retired

Badgerdave I took your advice and made the dado blade inserts out of MDF which worked very well. If your interested you can see a example of them in the Tool Hanger Tread. Thanks for your help.
                      Dan

P.S. I painted them Ridgid orange because the first one I used was for the 10" blade that came with the saw and it blended too well with the MDF which made it difficult to see. Safety first!
                      Last edited by sparky1945; 11-14-2007, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X