Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear protection ???????

Hello all,
    I have been reading a bit about this in some of my wood mag's. Is this really a problem I didn't think that my tools were really that loud. Does anyone really wear ear plugs?

Thanks, Jason

I have a head set I wear when jointing, planing and sometimes on the table saw. If you do not think they are loud try thr head set and see the difference.
    Problem is I don't always wear when doing one piece.
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by tuff71:
      Hello all,
      I have been reading a bit about this in some of my wood mag's. Is this really a problem I didn't think that my tools were really that loud. Does anyone really wear ear plugs?

Thanks, Jason
      Hi Jason.
      Studies have proven that in the long run exposure to noise such as the machines we use will have an effect on our hearing later on. I work in a security company selling tons of ear protection and I have never heard of anyone saying that they regret wearing earplugs or any type of protection. I use E.A.R soft blasts earplugs with a NR rating of 33. It is the most comfortable plug as well as the one with the greatest noise reduction plug there is readily available. I personally am greatful to have been given a good set of hearing ears and the least I can do is protect them.
      Note: Any constant noise louder then the voice of one person talking is worth wearing earplugs. Crazy but true.

Hope this helps.
      Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

My father was an auto mechanic who spent the better part of his life with his head under the hood of cars. By the time he was 50, his hearing was down to about 50%, now at 60, I'd say it's about 25% of what it once was.

Everytime I go in the shop, I put in a set of ear plugs. The disposable ones I use are supposed to reduce the noise by 25db, and I think they work quite well. (They also help to keep the dust out of my ears.) In my opinion they are a cheap way to protect hearing (less than $.25/pair if you buy in bulk) and the first thing to put on after your safety glasses.

Comment

I have some "shooting range" earmuffs. I'd tried them the other day while planing and jointing and was amazed. I never realized how loud things were.

I'll start using ear protection from now on.

Comment

Perhaps, you've already lost your hearing and that's why they don't sound loud -- just kidding.
            Apparently, woodworking equipment is a lot worse on our hearing than we think. I've read a couple of articles over the past year or so on it also. There was a good one in the last issue of either Fine Woodworking or Popular Woodworking. I try to remember my earplugs (although the experts probably would say than typical earplugs aren't enough protection) when I run my router, jointer, and planer, but often I forget until I've already started.

Comment

I have some "shooting range" earmuffs, like matt s, and I wear them almost all the time I am working, whether I am using power equiptment or not. I find that I enjoy the solitude that it seems to create. It is conductive to thought.
              Just me. Oh, and it's protecting my hearing too.

Comment

it is not always the noise level that is damaging to your hearing. a constant same frequency sound can have just as bad if not a worse affect than the louder noises. take it from experience. i am in the navy and have spent quite a bit of time on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. learned a lot about ones ears and hearing! so as i mentioned before it is not only the loud noises that cause loss....it is also the constant frequency noises. and this is why hearing protection should be worn in the shop. not necessarily because of the noise level, but the frequency of the sound
                \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I always wear ear protection whenever I turn on any major power tools (including the shop vac).
                  Just don't like the loud noise.

- J

Comment

I'm sorry...I didn't quite hear what the last few posts said...yuck yuck..

Actually, the hearing loss is sometimes so subtle that you do not recognize that it has happened until you start missing conversations, like in a crowded room. Don't take a chance...wear protection.

Comment

Hello Folks,

Hope you don't mind another voice on the hearing protection subject. A lot of industries are now advising the worker to wear both ear plugs "and" ear muffs together as a hearing protection system.
                      The example given to me was: hearing protection is required at noise levels above 85 db.
                      A jack hammer is about 140 to 150db.
                      If ear plugs average a 30 db drop you are only at the 110/120 db rage. Ear muffs can drop another 30 db. (avg.) off of that, bringing the total down to a reasonable level for all day exposures. Hope this helps.

Comment

For anyone looking for more information, try this site;

http://www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/trade/trade.html

and this in paticular about hearing loss and the carpentry trade;

http://www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/d0400...2/d000452.html

Comment

Working...
                        X