Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated router table or router attached to TS???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated router table or router attached to TS???

I have a TS 3650 and a Ridgid router. Read a lot on dedicated router tables and the mounting of the router to the right side of the table saw. I like the idea of using the saw table. Saves room and I can use the saw fence.

What are the pros and cons of each method? Is one better than the other?

Thanks

Re: Dedicated router table or router attached to TS???

Given my druthers and adequate space, I think I'd rather have a free standing table. That said, of all the space savings compromises many of us have to make in small shops, mounting the router in the TS has very little downside for me.

Usually DC is better with a free standing table b/c you can build a DC cabinet below, and still have DC above the table at the fence. It's possible to build a DC cabinet below a router in a table too, you just need to be a bit more creative. Also, some routers have DC chutes for below table DC

If you use the fence from your TS, you'll still need to adapt some sort of split fence and DC into it.

Comment

I really cant think of any "cons" to either method, I believe its personl preference.

I have had routers mounted to tablesaw's and was happy with it. I finally built me a new router table (dedicated) and like it more.

Just my preference,

Regards,

Comment

I think it depends a lot on your situation, amount of room you have, preferance for use, portability/useability of your table saw, etc. For me, I'd prefer a separate, standalone table for the router. My Ryobi BT3100 has an accessory table for the router already built in, but I find having the router mounted there is a waste of the table space. I also like to be able to move the saw as needed when I need to cut larger sheets.

Likewise, the router table that I'm making will be a dedicated tool, with room for accessories, etc. to be added as time permits. I just purchased the Rockler table top/fence/plate system for that use. It certainly provides a lot more space and useability as compared to the area on my table saw.

But, that's my preferance and I can certainly see where others would love the table saw with an integrated router setup.

CWS

Comment

Let me predict what will happen all the time if you mount the router in a table attached to the saw, You will spend several minutes setting up the fence and cutter height for some difficult to set up bit like a lock miter bit. You will make a lot of trial cuts to get everything just right. At that moment, you will realize you need to make a tablesaw cut before going any further. That will cause you to lose your setup and waste a lot of time redoing it. Routers mounted to a table board of the saw are a great space saver, but will inevitably cause interference and lost time between routing and sawing operations. Only do it this way if you must.

Comment

I'll use my Ridgid 12" SCMS for that wider than 8" cut

Comment

Originally posted by artmann View Post
              Let me predict what will happen all the time if you mount the router in a table attached to the saw, You will spend several minutes setting up the fence and cutter height for some difficult to set up bit like a lock miter bit. You will make a lot of trial cuts to get everything just right. At that moment, you will realize you need to make a tablesaw cut before going any further. That will cause you to lose your setup and waste a lot of time redoing it. Routers mounted to a table board of the saw are a great space saver, but will inevitably cause interference and lost time between routing and sawing operations. Only do it this way if you must.
              Two "solutions" to combat the comments above:
              1) Stop and think ahead to anticipate any cross cuts, and
              2) Make router setup blocks. I keep a stock of 6" x 2" 3/4" thick MDF on hand for creating a fast setup block anytime I do anything I might have to repeat, OR if I run into the precise situation above. Also, those nifty brass setup guages are a wonderful help in setting up fence distances, as well as bit height in a jiffy.

Now, I love my ProMax mounted in my table saw. But I won't deny, IF I had the workshop space I would have a free-standing router table. I do, in fact, have a separate small router table (my $99 Ryobi combo-kit) which I bolt to a work table when I know I'll be doing a LOT of edge roundovers or beveling and don't want to block my tablesaw usage.

But don't let the possibility of having to undo a few router setups dissuade you from entering the wonderful world of table routing!

Comment

I thought bout mounting to TS with my ryobi router table i got last fathers day. Then i seen some easy and creative ways to make a cabinet /table combo. I will be making an enclosed cabinet for router table soon. Useing mdf on table as is now even to make new cabinet lol. I love woodworking and the overall ease to make things with tools . I strongly suggest haveing a stand alone router table if you have the room. The set up brakdown time if installed on TS is PIA !. I luck out and have room

Comment

Working...
                X