X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Jointer advice/opinions

Well, here's the deal...I did do a search on the ridgid jointer, and looked around for opinions/advice on it here on the forums, and didn't find much. A couple things kind of recent, but most of what I did find was from 3 or 4 years ago. Just wondering if there's anyone who has purchased one recently, how they feel about it, any problems, etc., because those older posts did mention some issues with the fence and I'm wondering if that's been worked through since then. I have a garage shop, was thinking of an 8 inch Grizzly but a) I've had really good luck with Ridgid tools and b) costs a lot less than a Grizzly, and c) I probably don't need something like that at this time. Thanks in advance.

Re: Ridgid Jointer advice/opinions

I bought one a year ago and have used it a lot since then. I have gotten nothing but excellent service from it. I think it is an excellent value, especially if you can find it on sale. OTOH, if I had it to do over, I would buy an 8" jointer. I am currently looking to upgrade. I run into the 6" limitation fairly regularly. Also, the bed isn't long enough to joint 8 or 10 foot lumber very well.

Comment

With the exception of a very few furniture items (crib, dresser, etc for upcoming addition) I am mostly interested in making boxes and small stuff like that. That's why I haven't jumped all over an 8 inch. I am waiting for a sale...usually veteran's day is my play day, but I'd like to get it before then. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

I bought mine about 3 years ago, Jalon, but I haven't seen (on the displays) or heard of any changes. I haven't had any issues with mine and while an 8" would be much nicer have you seen how much more space it requires? They get looooong. At any rate, it's the kind of tool that you don't use a great deal but you'll be glad to have it in the shop more than you think. Good luck with your search. Fun, isn't it!?

Later,
        Chiz
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

One spec that's sort of put the jp0610 in the back seat to others is its 3/4" limitation. I've seen it posted on this forum and verified by users that you might be able to pass 3/4" stock through 1X and maybe 2X, but then it slips under the guard. Many other jointers, Grizzy's included have a 1/2" limitation. No one has ever posted a fix for this limitation.
          Hector

Comment

One way to fix the 3/4" limitation is to use a "carrier" for thin stock. Use a block of wood and attach the thin stock to it. Or use the block as a push stick. It's really not that much of a limitation.

I've had my jointer for around 2 years, and use it quite often. It's a very nice machine. Never had a problem with it.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hector B View Post
              One spec that's sort of put the jp0610 in the back seat to others is its 3/4" limitation. I've seen it posted on this forum and verified by users that you might be able to pass 3/4" stock through 1X and maybe 2X, but then it slips under the guard. Many other jointers, Grizzy's included have a 1/2" limitation. No one has ever posted a fix for this limitation.
              Hector
              Can't you just take off the guard?! I looked at the Ridgid and almost got it, but stupid HD didn't have any and didn't know when they'd get more.. so, I got a JET at the local Woodcraft, and it wound up being about $80 cheaper (even after 10% off at HD). Anyway, if I recall correctly it's not really a "limitation" but rather their safety guidance. Less then 3/4" and it slides beneath the cutter guard. Frankly, seems stupid that the cutter guard has a huge gap underneath. Unless there is some fancy schmancy safety sensor that detects the guard being gone, you should be able to just remove it and go to town, as this as you like.

Can anyone confirm this fact?

Comment

It takes a screwdriver to remove a retention screw and then it just pulls up and off. Using the push blocks is a better solution time and safety wise. Back when I was taking shop in the '60's remving the guard was SOP but safety was covered in the sentence, "Keep your hands away from any cutting edge". The rest was using proper procedure without reliance on guards - no, I don't discount the necessity for guards, etc. I use them most of the time.
                Later,
                Chiz
                Later,
                Chiz

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                  Can't you just take off the guard?! I looked at the Ridgid and almost got it, but stupid HD didn't have any and didn't know when they'd get more.. so, I got a JET at the local Woodcraft, and it wound up being about $80 cheaper (even after 10% off at HD). Anyway, if I recall correctly it's not really a "limitation" but rather their safety guidance. Less then 3/4" and it slides beneath the cutter guard. Frankly, seems stupid that the cutter guard has a huge gap underneath. Unless there is some fancy schmancy safety sensor that detects the guard being gone, you should be able to just remove it and go to town, as this as you like.

Can anyone confirm this fact?
                  There's no interlock that requires the guard to be in place. For thin stock, I think the best way may be to extend the guard down a little with some strong/flexible plastic and epoxy. That said, I rarely run up against the 3/4" limitation and have nothing but good to say about the ridgid jointer.

Steve

Comment

I joint thin stock all the time on my Rigid jointer. The first push block just pushes the guard out of the way and then everything is fine.

I love this machine. Got it in February and use it almost daily. That, with the Rigid planer, makes a great combination.

Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X