Jig Saw recommedations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jig Saw recommedations

Fine Homebuilding and Fine Woodworking annual Tool Guide for 2007 put the Bosch 1590EVSK as Best Overall, the Hitachi CJ110MV as Best Value, and the Hilti WSJ 850-ET as Reader's Choice. The Bosch got extra credit for toolless bevel adjustment; flush-cutting capability; long cord; and additional blade guide.

Note: The Ridgid got a B+ rating with a demerit for blowing dust in the operators face, and extra credit for toolless bevel adjustment and long cord.

Hope this helps.

DWC

Comment

I love my new Ridgid corded jig saw. It's replacing a 30+year old Craftsman jig saw. The new Ridgid is so much smoother and easier to handle. Plus, I love the really long chord (lit up with an icon of the tool so you know which plug is which btw!!!!!) and the nifty velcro strap that's attached. All in all, I'm a happy Ridgid jigsaw owner.

I got mine at a real deal cause it's a refurb. No lifetime warranty, but hey...it was a great deal! I'm very much enjoying toolless blade and angle changes. This thing is light-years ahead of the old Craftsman. I'll still keep the old one...it's one of their better-made models.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The Ridgid jigsaw looks very good. Just about the only reason I passed on it is its way too large and high for my taste. I've always found a jigsaw handles better with a low handle and center of gravity. Makes it a lot easier to cut accurately. I've been considering buying the barrel grip version of the 1590 for this reason.

Comment

Sandy

Is your Ridgid JigSaw one from Germany by any chance? If yes, more than likely it's METABO built and their JigSaws are pretty nice, but big $$$ under their name. It would have to be one of the early ones to be their making. They did a nice angle grinder and a few corded drills for Ridgid until TTI totally took control of the hand held line. By the way get some Bosch Progressor blades for it and really cut. Oh are they way better than the other brands. There are several types of them depending on what you're cutting.

Comment

You had mentioned the Progressor blades before, Woussko. I had purchased some and found they wouldn't work in the Craftsman. That was another reason for the Ridgid ("I have these great blades...I need a saw to go with them!"). I got a couple for cutting clear plastic to use in picture frames. I also got a couple wood blades at the same time. They definitely work great!!
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy

True about the Bosch blades not working in the older Craftsman which most likely (about 99% sure) uses Universal shank blades. You might look at Lenox or Starrett blades for it. Starrett has special blades that can be used in almost any Jig Saw where they have a "Fits All" wild shank on them.
              Last edited by Woussko; 06-15-2007, 04:19 AM.

Comment

The title of this posting brought something to mind and I wonder if anyone else remembers the same thing. I grew up calling a 'jig saw' the tabletop tool which is nowdays commonly sold as a 'scroll saw'. I always called the hand-held saw a sabre saw. I checked my dictionary and sure enough, the illustration and description of a 'jig saw' is the same as a scroll saw. Sabre/saber saw is not listed my Webster's New World. Has there been a change in the accepted terms for these tools over the years?

Comment

Thiggy

I remember that too. The jig saw was sort of crude scroll saw. The sabre saw was much like what today we call a jig saw. Maybe the names changed because people might think of a sabre saw as what we today know as a reciprocating saw or as Milwaukee Electric Tool named it a Sawzall. I wonder how many people know what a FRET saw is like?

Comment

Isn't a Fret saw pretty much the same thing as a Scroll Saw, or a handheld "fret" saw is much like a coping saw??

Regards

Comment

I also used to know jigsaws as sabre saws. Actually my old craftsman jigsaw is called a sabre saw on the label. I've also seen reciprocating saws refered to as sabre saws.

Comment

I appreciate the excellent feedback you've all provided. Based on your responses, I decided that I'd be crazy to choose something other than the one saw that gets nearly perfect reviews all around, so I purchased the Bosch 1590evsk from Amazon.com (free shipping and I had a $15 e-giftcard, so it the total came to about $130, shipped).

It arrived today, and certainly seems like a great saw. One aspect that doesn't seem to perform as well as I had expected is the dust blowing capability. I was cutting some ZCI blanks out of 1/2" MDF, and even with the blower turned on I had to "manually" blow the dust out of the way every 2-3 seconds just to see where I was cutting. Maybe I'm expecting too much (the dust blowing feature was one of the primary selling points for me), but it didn't seem to clear dust any more effectively than any jigsaw I've used in the past (that don't even have a dust-blowing feature).

For those of you who own/use the 1590, does this seem normal, or do you think I might have a defective saw?

Comment

I don't own that jigsaw but possibly the blower can't keep up with the amount of sawdust that you get when cutting MDF. Did you try it on some real wood?
                          ================================================== ====
                          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
                          X