X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jig Saw recommedations

I've a newbie to the forum and also to woodworking in general, and have been learning a lot consulting the forums every morning. I plan on purchasing a jig saw (no room for a band saw in my small shop, else I'd go that route), and am considering Ridgid's 3121 (corded model) or the r883 (MaxSelect, dual voltage).

I've searched the forums but haven't found very much information on either one so wanted to see if anyone has any experience (good or bad) with either one. There seems to be some concern over the manufacturing origin of the 3121 (China), but other than that both seem to have received relatively good reviews.

The 3121 sells for $139 at HD, which is about the limit of my budget. I've been sold on Ridgid's tool quality and Lifetime service plan (since I've gotten into woodworking, I've acquired the TS3650, 18V combo set, & router combo set), so I really haven't considered any other brands.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Jig Saw recommedations

Dont have any experience with the Ridgid, but I do have this one http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tool...=54927&I=55130

I could not be happier with it. I have told people if I could only have one hand-held saw, this would be it. I would give up my circular saws, sawzalls, etc.

If I remember correctly, I paid about $140.00 for it about 5 years ago, but I would think it would be a little less than that now.

Regards,
    Last edited by biscuit; 06-11-2007, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Re: Jig Saw recommendations

If this is your first woodworking tool..then I'd suggest you buy corded.

Not that battery powered jig saws are bad..I have the Ridgid 18v jig saw and a Porter Cable jig saw.
      Each tool fits certain working conditions. You will find better balance, control, and capabilities on the corded jig saw that the battery operated one may not have or have in a limited design.

Don't forget good safety glasses

Cactus Man

Comment

The Bosch 1587 is an excellent saw. Its drawback is a somewhat awkward blade change system. I would recommend just going straight for the 1590 is possible. Its overall considered to be the best jig saw. It has a little more power and a really simple blade change system. I have the 1587 and a Dewalt 331K which is also an excellent saw. Blade changing on the 331K is very simple as well. Its a little heavier than the Bosch saws which tends to be one of its more frequent complaints. I don't find it to be a problem since it tends to vibrate a heck of a lot less than any jigsaw I've ever used. Jigsaws are usually used flat down against the workpiece so weight is not much of an issue. What I don't like is the handle position feels a little too high.

Comment

I recommend the Bosch 1590EVSK which is a 1590 with case. It's an all around great JigSaw and easy to use. One thing I do not like is that the speed control is a dial type. The trigger is an on-off switch. It takes some getting used to this saw before you learn to always set the dial to low, start it up and then set it faster. I would like it better if they used a regular variable speed trigger control and had an adjustable limiter on it. Check around tool dealers in your area and try to hold and run a few of them. I'm also pretty sure Bosch will have a newer version of the 1590 before long. It might pay to keep watch for such. If you can find them, take a look at what Milwaukee and Metabo have. I really think this is a matter of finding one that works well for you.

Once you find which model you want look around for prices. Sometimes a dealer will have a better price or may throw in some blades as part of their deal. By the way the Bosch JigSaw blades are far better quality than most other brands I've used. Go with them (even in other brands) and you'll soon find out they can make any JigSaw that uses T shank blades cut better than before. You will need to try to match the blade to what you're using it for. Get a nice assortment to keep on hand. Then later you can buy more of the ones you'll use most.
          Last edited by Woussko; 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            I recommend the Bosch 1590EVSK which is a 1590 with case. It's an all around great JigSaw and easy to use. One thing I do not like is that the speed control is a dial type. The trigger is an on-off switch.
            Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure ( I might be wrong) the 1590 I tried had a variable speed trigger and my 1587 has variable speed trigger independantly of the speed dial. The speed dial does nothing more than limit how fast the variable speed trigger can go.

Comment

My 1590EVSK works as Velosapien describes.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

About a year back I was making the same decision on a jig saw. There is a thread somewhere on the forum responding to my questions. The consensus at that time was the Bosch saws were the best around, relatively little response about the Ridgid saws. I also asked about the Freud jig saw ($99 at Rockler).

I didn't want to spend as much as the better Bosch saws run, so I went with the Freud (there was 1 very good feedback from a user of it). I'm very happy with Freud.

From my own experience and that of this forum the Bosch blades are the best available.
                Dick

Comment

I have the 18volt Ridgid cordless jig saw. Each time I use it, I get more attached to it. It runs smoothly, no cumbersome cords in the way and it is very well balanced. The speed adjustment is great and the orbital control feature allows for aggressive or fine, more controlled cuts. While I'm not thrilled with the "a la carte" nature of the Max Select tools, the jig saw is an excellent tool.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Bosch 1590EVSK

Comment

My 1590EVSK is on of the first to come out. I just tried it and my trigger switch is just an on-off type. Hmmm I wonder if Bosch has a retrofit kit so I could update it. It's OK as is for my needs and it really cuts great. I've heard that the older Ridgid JigSaw made in Germany was a good one. I doubt there are any around at H D but it might pay to look just in case. If anyone wants the Bosch prowl around several dealer web sites. I've seen where they sometimes throw in a pack or two of blades as a thank you gift. (We all know it's the bottom line price that matters. right?)

Comment

I find it unusual Bosch would ship out some of the first ones without a vsr switch when their earlier model did have it. I would check to see if it didn't come with a defective switch.

Comment

angus810,

Here is the thread that Dick L. was referring to.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I must have owned a dozen jigsaws since I started woodworking. The Bosch 1590 is by far the best one I have ever owned. I haven't tried every brand, but believe the 1590 to be among the best tools of it's kind you can buy today at any price.

Comment

Vel

I think I'll find some nice brand new Bosch 1590EVSK at a tool dealer (not the big box dump) and try them. I think I may well have a defective switch and replacing it would make mine into a variable speed with limiting. If nothing else, I'll call their factory service center and ask about it. With it doing GREAT otherwise I really love this tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X