No announcement yet.

Ridgid 6 1/8 Jointer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would very much like to learn to use a handplane but I came to woodworking very late in life and the learning curve is steeper than I thought it would be. Can you recommend a good plane for a beginner? I was stationed at Travis and March Field for about 7yr. from 59-67. Been to L.A. many times......worked in Van Nuys at the Chevrolet plant. It was a temperature controlled building 105 deg. outside 105 deg. inside.

Comment

I would try to find a ww group in your area and have someone there show you how to tune a plane.
      The cheaper planes do not work right out of the box.
      The more expensive ones do.
      I recently bought a $30 groz plane, spent a couple of hours sharpening and tuning it up and it works great. You should do this to truly understand how a plane works, and why it needs to be done. If you are ever in L.A. I would be happy to show you how to do it.
      Where do you live?
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I live in West Tx. and we have only one tool store besides HD and Lowes. We have one used tool dealer and a few pawn shops and I've gotten a few bargains in these places. Thanks for your offer to help. I have a woodworking friend and sometime later this year we're going to get a bunch of guys together and maybe form a club.

Comment

Thanks for this forum, everyone!
          I have a problem which I state at the bottom of this post.
          I bought a Ridgid JP-610 jointer, my first jointer, with the 10% Veteran's Day discount ($314.10 net before sales tax) after looking at the Delta equivalent at Lowe's. The Delta didn't seem to be as ruggedly built *and* I noticed it was made in China whereas the Ridgid jointer was made in Taiwan. That tipped the decision in favor of Home depot's unit!
          I also bought, by phone, a TS-Aligner, Jr.
          <http://www.ts-aligner.com/newindex.htm> gauging system because I wanted to know that the jointer was set correctly as well as I wanted to check out my table saw, drill press, belt sander and bandsaw as accurately as possible.
          The Ridgid jointer was a bit of a struggle to assemble and erect but it's up and running. The knives and beds checked out dead nuts on! Nothing was even a half-thousandth off.
          I have a problem though with dust and chip collection. I have a big Fein shop vac but no other dust collection setup. Even with the shop vac connected the jointer still spits out dust and shavings like there's no tomorrow. I wonder if I did something wrong when I assembled the unit. There are so many shavings flying back over the infeed bed that I have to wait for a couple of minutes, with the unit and the vac running, between passes of even a 3" wide board. Do other jointers spit out that much stuff - that is not send it to the collection system? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comment

Pete

Welcome to the forum. You definitely have something obstructing the chip chute, even without a vacuum connected the majority of the sawdust will end up in a pile on the floor at the bottom of the chute just by utilizing gravity alone. I just have a Craftsman shopvac connected to mine and it captures almost all of the sawdust leaving only minimal residue to clean up. I would double check your setup, because your Fein should handle the task.

Woodslayer

Comment

Thank you Woodslayer!
              I haven't had a chance to check it yet but I will tomorrow morning at the latest.
              Pete

Comment

Woodslayer, you're a genius and I'm the world's greatest dummy!
                The chute was plugged up with the chewin's off the first board I ran over the blades - a 2" thick by four foot long piece of *old* white pine. It being the first piece I think, in my eagerness to try the tool, that I didn't have the vac hooked up when I ran it that first time *and* I was probably taking too much of a bite. Now it's working beautifully - and I'm only taking about 0.008" off with each pass. A Big Thanks to you!
                Next?
                *grin*
                Pete

Comment

I'm 6'2" and find that it is a little lower than some of the others, but you can shim up a mobile base to fit your comfort level. I think it might be an inch or so shorter too but it's fine for most 6 to 7 foot boards.

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
                    I love my ridgid jointer. I concurr with the blade guard issue. Also apparently i am an idiot but I am not very good at setting knives.
                    Any fix for that guard space, which I dislike? I was thinking of adding some wood to reduce the space. I otherwise think it is a very good jointer.

Comment

Has anyone found a suitable mobile base for their ridgid jointer? My shop layout requires me to move the jointer when not in use. Any suggestions or successes?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by rockrbob:
                        Has anyone found a suitable mobile base for their ridgid jointer? My shop layout requires me to move the jointer when not in use. Any suggestions or successes?

Jim

Comment

If I can figure out how to attach a picture, I'll show the the mobile base I use on my Ridgid jointer as described in Wood Magazine a few years back. If you are interested, I will find the issue, but a search of Wood's archives may bring it up.

Comment

Can anyone tell me if and or how a picture can be attached to a post.
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Plemons:
                              Can anyone tell me if and or how a picture can be attached to a post.
                              Thanks
                              Hi Charlie - Your pic needs to posted on a host server like Photobucket.com (free).
                              Then you copy the pic address and paste in the dialogue box "IMAGE" below under the Instant UBB Codes. Pretty simple actually.

Comment

Tahnks for the help. If this works, here is a picture of mobile tool base for the Ridgid jointer I use. It is from a design in Wood Magazine

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...p/toolbase.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X