Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 6 1/8 Jointer

Dear Guys & Dolls,
    Thinking of getting Ridgid 6 1/8 inch jointer. It'll be my first. Would get an 8 inch,
    but don't have the room. Anybody who has one I would really appreciate the feedback !

Chuck from Philly

Charlgush

I have had mine for 3 years now with no complaints. Of course I would like a bigger one, with a longer bed in a bigger shop
    I even changed the blades with out any problems.

Comment

I like mine. no big complaints. I just wish it would sit a few inches higher. I am 5' 10" and the jointer is a little low for comfort. BUt I believe they are all like that.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

GOT MINE AT THE LOCAL HD MARKED "MISSING PARTS". COST $150 DOWN FROM $399. ALL IT WAS MISSING WAS THE PLASTIC KEY TO ACTIVATE THE ON/OFF SWITCH. I WOULD ECHO RAFAEL'S COMMENT ABOUT HEIGHT. I'M 6'3" AND YA GOTTA BEND OVER TO USE IT. NOTHING BETTER FOR RABETTING, THOUGH.
        IF YOU\'RE WORKING HARD, YOU\'RE DOING IT WRONG

Comment

another vote for the ridgid jointer! the only negative is the blade guard which is designed to work with stock that is =>3/4" otherwise it tends to slide UNDER the slot although you get used to bumping it out of the way with the grout float. do yourself a favor and make sure that you get some kind of mobile base before you flip this monster over so that you can move it when it's not in use. a dust collector or cyclone cuts down on the chips when face jointing. don't be surprised if it takes you a couple of tries to master face jointing - check the grain when all else fails! BTW start reading up on how to change the jointer blades.

Comment

Dear Guys,
            I think you kind of cinched it for me !! I'm
            6'1", I've already started dreaming up an add on base & mobile. If there was such a club, you would definitely be admitted into " The Gentlemen
            of Tools".

Charlgush

Chuck from Philly

Comment

I'd be very interested in hear from people on this machine as well. I need a jointer in my shop, and the Ridgid 6" looks like a good choice.

My biggest worry about a jointer is blade-changing. Some machine are better than others with this. How's the Ridgid?

Comment

I put off changing blades for a long time after I really needed to change them. It wasn't has hard as I thought it would be, Just follow instructions to the letter and you will be fine. You do need to pay attention to detail and check for accuracy. But that is true will all of woodworking.

Comment

Except for a few times in other people's shops, I have never used a jointer. But I do think it's time to add one.

I think there are a few different blade systems. There are jack screws, tersa cutterheads, springs, and at the top of the heap are spiral/helical cutterheads. There may be other variations I am forgetting here.

I know the Ridgid does not have spiral or tersa cutterheads. What does it use, and how does the Ridgid blade-changing system compare with other jointers?

Comment

I love my ridgid jointer. I concurr with the blade guard issue. Also apparently i am an idiot but I am not very good at setting knives.
                    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Has anyone here upgraded their Ridgid jointer to have a spiral or helical cutterhead?

I know Sunhill Machinery makes an upgrade knife head for the Ridgid but I don't know how good it is.

Here's the link:
                      http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/Spir...Conversion.htm

Comment

I'm curious if the better cutter head means you dont have to sand as much, otherwise it may be a waste of money. I've heard that the other heads dont need sharpening as much.
                        I still prefer to hand plane before finishing. No power jointer or planer can match that look.
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Rafael,
                          My reason for upgrading is for easier and faster knife changes. Also, because the finish is supposed to be better with spiral heads.

I'd still be very interested to hear what others say about upgrading the Ridgid jointer.

The Sunhill Machinery head is $145. That would bring the total cost of the Ridgid jointer up to about $550. Still a lot less than many other jointers!

Comment

I've had a Ridgid jointer for over 2 yrs. now and the surface of a jointed board couldn't be any slicker IMHO. I have never mastered the job of setting the knives. If you'are like me and had never heard of "jack screws" the manual wont make it any clearer. My Ridgid planer does essentially the same job but the knives can be changed in 10min. or less and never need adjusting. At my age I'll probably never get it just right.

Comment

I-9,
                              You need to see a hand planed board if you want to see smoother. The difference is noticeable.
                              If you're ever around los angeles I'll show you.
                              Also, if you hand plane edges you can do glue ups with minimal clamping pressure, the edges will attract each other.
                              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X