X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Insert for TS3650

As this question might indicate...I'm kinda new to this. Rebuilt a good portion of stuff in my 1st house a bought a couple years ago but I'm really getting into this woodworking thing! Perhaps I should have taken up heroin....might be less addictive and less expensive!

So, I've seen all of these great router table inserts for the 3650. But, my question is how the heck to you fasten them to the rails? I looked at the 27" table from Rockler...but the instructions and pictures I saw were for rails that were more like angle iron (flat sided) rails than the crazy curves of the Rigid model and the bolts went straight through from the outside....which would interfere with the fence?!?!?!

Anyone got any pictures or suggestions on how to install?

Thanks a ton.
    -Chris

Re: Router Insert for TS3650

Hi Hef! Welcome to the forums!

To mount the angle iron to the TS rails, drill holes in the angle iron. Then, bolt them loose onto the angle iron. Run the flange end into the slot on the inside of the rails. When in place, tighten the nuts. To attach to the cast iron of the table, you can drill that and the angle iron.

I hope that helps you some. I'm sure there'll be many more suggestions. I can't remember the size of the nut that fits in the slot on the rails, but toilet flange bolts will work.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I guess my main question and/or confusion is how/where to mount angle iron running down the rails??!?!?!?! Duct tape?

Comment

Wait...just found a photo that I figured it out from....I'm an idiot...I WAY over-thought that one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
          I'm sure there'll be many more suggestions. I can't remember the size of the nut that fits in the slot on the rails, but toilet flange bolts will work.
          So will wing nuts that have the wings cut so that the wings do not stick out further than the height of the wing nut itself. Thread the wing nuts on the bolt with the wings in the slot, facing toward the angle iron. If that does not make sense, let me know and I'll post a picture.

Comment

If you've got one (a photo)...then I'd really appreicate it!!!

Comment

This image should help explain what I was trying to say. Put the wing nut in a vise to make the cuts with a hack saw. They cut pretty easy. As you can see there are enough of the wings left to still stop the wing nut from rotating inside the rail.

The nice thing about it is you have greater flexibility in choosing what size bolt you want to use. For my router insert, though a 1/4" wing nut fit inside the rail, a 1/4" bolt was too big because the cap hit the aluminum angle supports. This allowed me to switch to a #10 bolt and wing nut.
              Attached Files

Comment

Jeez, I wish I had a camera for you, Hef. The slots in the rails accept the head of 1/4" hex bolts (I'm *pretty* sure of the size). When I initially set this up with clamps and supports to see where the angle would fall in relation to those slots I quickly saw that I would not be able to get a nut on the bolt because there wasn't enough clearance with the horizontal portion of the aluminum angle - the threaded shaft of the bolt was too close to it. To solve that I rabbeted the edges of the table top so that the angle would sit down in them. I used washers on the bolts and had to cut off enough of the edge to fit. After the angle is attached to the bottom of the table top I mounted the bolts in it loosely and then fed the heads into the slots in the rails. The heads alone are enough to hold them there. That was probably as clear as mud. Sorry. Set the whole thing up with clamps and supports - duct tape if you have to - and take a look at what you have to work with and around.

Later,
                Chiz
                Last edited by ironhat; 06-17-2007, 08:01 PM. Reason: clarity
                Later,
                Chiz

Comment

Originally posted by ironhat View Post
                  I quickly saw that I would not be able to get a nut on the bolt because there wasn't enough clearance with the horizontal portion of the aluminum angle - the threaded shaft of the bolt was too close to it.
                  That is the same problem I had with 1/4" bolts. They are too big which ruled out the slotted heads on 1/4" toilet bowl wax ring bolts. (Damn, because they fit so nice in the slot, too.) That's why I switched to #10 bolts and trimmed wing nuts. Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Comment

I just cut tongues on each side of the router table that match the slot on the inside of the rails. The table just slides in, and is held against the cast iron saw table by the original rail spacer rod.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X