X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a used ridgid planer?

I would be grateful for some advice on purchasing a used ridgid planer. I just bought a used ridgid jointer and thought that I should buy a new planer. My rationale was that a planer will probably see more use and have more wear and tear relative to a jointer so I thought the lifetime service agreement would be more important for the planer but less so for the jointer.

There is a ridgid planer for sale, 1.5 yrs old and I'm told that it was used once to plane wood for a gate and has been collecting dust since. He is asking $225 for it.

Any advice? I have a minor concern. Its HOT in AZ and wondered if oxidation on the rollers would be an issue. If I look at it, how should I test it?

Thanks Dennis
    Last edited by DWfromUK; 06-13-2007, 07:55 PM.

Re: Buying a used ridgid planer?

I don't want to spoil your day but unfortunately the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement only covers new tools and the original purchaser. Any tools that are purchased second hand don't qualify. The same is true for reconditioned tools that Cummins sells.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Apologies if I wasn't clear......I know the lifetime warrenty is only on new tools, thats why I thought about a new planer vs a used one. But since I found a used planer, I thought I'd ask what folks thought about used & no warranty on the planer.

Comment

In that case then I'd jump all over that used one if it's in the condition that the owner says it is. The LLSA program is very nice to have but for the average Joe it will probably never be used for corded tools.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I bought a used one for something like 250 also.It also sat for 1.5 years in a shed in seattle.It works fine.
          I also saw it brandnew at a woodworking show at the Ridgid booth and it either 201 or 211 and the TS was 301 or 311. I was p.o.'d I paid 550 for TS at HD.

Comment

Working...
          X