plastic wood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plastic wood

i have just about finished a wine cabinet for my wife. I have already stained parts of it and now i notice there are still some imperfections in the cabinet. My question is can I still use plastic wood on stainded parts of the cabinet, sand, and put another coat of stain on? Or will it be noticeable?

The plastic wood i use is here.

Re: plastic wood

FP, it's been my experience that plastic wood stands out like a sore thumb from the surrounding wood when stain is applied. Although it's not perfect, the best method I've found in circumstances like this is to make a paste using wood glue and sawdust. It works best if you use sawdust from the actual wood in your project to make the paste.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Based on a recommendation I read somewhere I have been using white glue mixed with sawdust because white glue is supposed to dry clear relative to yellow glue. I recently read that white glue mixed 50-50 with water and sawdust works better than full viscosity white glue but I have not tried it.

Comment

depending on the size of the flaw I would recommend getting some natural colored putty and staining it to match before filling the hole. You can mix it with your stain until it gets pretty close and fill small imperfections to where they all but disappear this way. Alternately, try to find a putty that is very close by taking a sample of stained scrap to the store with you and choosing to match.

It is very hard to know how any filler will take stain until you do it and it is almost certain that plastic wood will not take it the same way the wood will. I always told people to fill nail holes in stain grade work this way, stain the wood first, get your putty to match and then fill.
        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I bought this book by Bob Flexnor (different edition) a long time ago:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5423

In it, he details a process using oil-based artist paints to match the surrounding wood almost perfectly. After filling and sanding level, he mixed the paint to match the base color of the wood and then used a darker paint to match the grain pattern. Then he laid his finish over the the repaired area.

I can't remember if he used plastic wood or the glue/sawdust blend though. I'll try to dig the book up and see what he recommends. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X