X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crown moulding

I am trying to cut crown moulding and what seems to be a simple thing has turned out to be not so simple. If the moulding is oriented on a miter saw as it would be on the wall/cieling shouldn't a simple 45 cut be correct? Or do I need to bevel the cut as well?
    Any advice will be a help.

[ 08-31-2005, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: fjf ]

Here is a link to an informational article on how to cut crown molding located on the DeWalt website.

Woodslayer

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/ar...odworking&ID=2

Comment

Are you cutting an outside corner or inside? If an outside corner, put the moulding in the mitre saw upside down (make sure it fits the back and bottom of the saw perfectly or you cut will be off) and make your cut. If an inside cut, I strongly recommend cutting at a 45 degree angle and then coping the moulding along the cut line. It is almost impossible to get a good fit with straight mitres on an inside corner. HTH Jim

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I think Ive got this down.
        I only needed the outside corners, I definitely see the wisdom in coping the inside corners.

fjf

Comment

FOR THOSE OF US WHO REMEMBER CUTTING CROWN MOLDING BY HAND IN A OLD FASHIONED MANUAL MITER BOX, REMEMBER THE OLD SAYING, "UPSIDE DOWN AND BACKWARDS". TREAT THE TABLE OF THE MITER BOX AS IF IT WERE THE CEILING AND THE FENCE OF THE MITER SAW AS IF IT WERE THE WALL. OUTSIDE CORNERS SHOULD BE A SNAP, DEPENDING ON HOW CLOSE THE OUTSIDE CORNER IS TO 90 DEGREES.
          IF YOU\'RE WORKING HARD, YOU\'RE DOING IT WRONG

Comment

Working...
          X