X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie TS Suggestions

I am new to woodworking in the essence of a home workshop. I have worked with a lot of equipment, but I am finally in a position to build a small workshop in my garage.

My question is I am looking for a table saw for the following projects, small cabinets, a deck, and to rip plywood to finish the interior of my garage; i.e. T-111.

The width can not exceed 30", I am looking at the Ridgid TS3650; Jet 708100 or the Grizzly GO444.

All advice is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Re: Newbie TS Suggestions

I'm a newbie myself, so take my comment for what it's worth. I'm in a similar situation, in that I've recently started building my first shop. After doing extensive research, I went with the Ridgid ts3650. The overall value of the saw (quality, warrantee, price, features, etc.) make it tough to beat. I really can't compare to many other saws, but I've been using it for a few months now and couldn't be happier; I don't have a single complaint.

Reading through these forums, you'll find that most people seem to be extremely satisfied with the 3650. There's a sticky post in the Tips section that is extremely useful before you assemble the saw, if you choose to purchase the Ridgid.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I hope it helps. Good luck getting your new shop set up.

Comment

The TS3650 has a lot to offer, for sure. I love the smooth cuts and the large flat surface. The fence is really a bonus on it. One of the best fences on a "contractor's" saw that I've ever seen. It doesn't rack, it's easy to move, it's accurate, and it goes on and off the saw easy enough. The splitter/safety guard is another plus I've come to love. When doing dado's, I can take it off and set it aside. Then when I'm doing a through cut, I just put it back on and the alignment is 100%. Due to that one factor, I use the safety guard EVERY time I can!!

I still find that when I have a full sheet of plywood, I need to first cut it down with the circular saw. It's just too big for one person to get an accurate cut. That fact would be the same regardless of saw, I think. Until I get some cabinets made to give me even more surface area ahead of and behind the saw, I'll use the circular saw and a fence to get the first cuts. Once the ply is in a more user-friendly size, I'll of course go back to the 3650.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Being that this is a Ridgid board you're more likely than not to get info on the 3650 than anything else. GIve the search engine a try using those saw models and you might find something more quickly than waiting on a reply. It's worth a shot. And, even if you decide to go with one of the *non-Ridgid* choices you might just want to hang out here anyway. Good folks and lots of wisdom imparted to us grasshoppers.

Later,
        Chiz
        Later,
        Chiz

Comment

Maybe I'm not understanding you right but none of the saws you listed will fit your requirement of 30" maximum width. You're pretty much limited to small benchtop saws which will be pretty much useless for ripping sheets of ply.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I actually will have Lowes rip the plywood to dimensions close to what I need and do the final cut on the TS.

Comment

Originally posted by BENWANNABE View Post
              I actually will have Lowes rip the plywood to dimensions close to what I need and do the final cut on the TS.
              One annoying thing about my Home Depot (Leesburg VA... maybe VASandy goes there, as Berryville's not too far away???) is that they have a new policy that they won't rip any 4x8 plywood in their panel saw. Apparently they had a little accident a while back (don't know details). They'll cross-cut it, but not rip.

That angered me the last time I purchased some 4x8 3/4" MDF from there...that stuff is way heavy, and my back doesn't take well to moving them around and trying to get it through the kitchen down the basement stairs, even with two people. However, the guy in lumber who originally said "no" came back to me later, said that the manager wasn't on-site, and ripped it for me anyways...kudos to him.

Comment

I echo Dave's question. However, I don't think there is a better value out there than the 3650. I have a 2412 which is an earlier, lower end saw than the 3612 which was the 3650's predecessor. I love it! the 3650 is the best value available, IMHO.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by steveKane View Post
                  One annoying thing about my Home Depot ... They'll cross-cut it, but not rip...
                  I live in Boston and recently noticed a sign indicating the same thing at our local HD... "No rip cuts allowed" (or something to that effect). Could just be coincidence, but it looks this may be a new HD policy (or possibly limited to the east coast?). Must have been some accident!

Comment

Originally posted by steveKane View Post
                    One annoying thing about my Home Depot (Leesburg VA... maybe VASandy goes there, as Berryville's not too far away???) is that they have a new policy that they won't rip any 4x8 plywood in their panel saw. Apparently they had a little accident a while back (don't know details). They'll cross-cut it, but not rip.

That angered me the last time I purchased some 4x8 3/4" MDF from there...that stuff is way heavy, and my back doesn't take well to moving them around and trying to get it through the kitchen down the basement stairs, even with two people. However, the guy in lumber who originally said "no" came back to me later, said that the manager wasn't on-site, and ripped it for me anyways...kudos to him.
                    Hey Steve! Yeah...I've been to that HD. Many many times. The new one out by Leesburg parkway (off the Greenway) is pretty nice. The one out at the big mall isn't that great. It seems to me as though there's significant differences from one HD to the next, and I think that's due to the store manager.

Out here in Berryville, I go to the one in Winchester. It's a pretty good store, and they're usually very helpful. I've gotten a lot of free advice and help from people that work there. They'll go out of their way to make sure you have the right tool for the job. That's the reason I'll keep going to HD. Even though there's a Lowe's RIGHT next door and actually easier for me to get to, I'll still drive the extra 300 yards to the HD.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I am also a newbie(sort of), I purchased the TS 3650 after sever months research, I agree also that this might be to large for a small workshop. I previously used a smaller Craftsman, that I hated, sorry to use that word but... Anyway the reasons that I purchased the TS3650 is I build alot of jigs for use on the table saw, I lost the use of one hand several years ago(long story, no tools involved), so jigs and sleds really make me feel safer, any way be carefull of the miter slot widths, make sure the saw has 3/4" slots, and trueness(is that a word?) anyway the TS3650 is the best priced TS I found with features far far better that the competition. I the 30 inch sides are a problem you can readjust the fences, I know the scales will be useless, but I usually dont use them for precision cuts any way.

Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                      X