X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Flush Trim Bit in a Router Table

I've been following the ZCI Insert thread and there were several mentions of using the original 3650 insert as a pattern for the router bit to follow for getting the perfect size.

When using a router table and flush trim bit do you want the bearing on the top of the bit or the bottom? And why?
    Hector

Re: Using a Flush Trim Bit in a Router Table

I don't think it technically matters; with bearing on top, then you'd stack the insert plate on top, blank on bottom. With bearing on bottom, then the other way around.

However, I'm thinking it's safer to have the bearing on top, just so there's less blade exposed to one's fingers. Plus, you can visually see that the bearing is contacting the plate more easily if it's on top.

Maybe there are other practical reasons to have bearing on top????

Comment

I agree with SteveKane, however he has the bottom/top mixed up.

A top bearing flush trim bit has the bearing closest to the router collet.
      A bottom bearing bit has the bit furthest away.

I use a bottom bearing bit in the table for flush trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by k47k View Post
        I agree with SteveKane, however he has the bottom/top mixed up.

A top bearing flush trim bit has the bearing closest to the router collet.
        A bottom bearing bit has the bit furthest away.

I use a bottom bearing bit in the table for flush trimming.
        I guess I was thinking in terms of being in a router table. But you're right, a router bit would be packaged and named like your saying.

Comment

Steve,

I knew what you meant, i just wanted to clarify so Hector didnt go out and buy the wrong bit, although both will work.

Comment

I personally prefer the top-bearing bit approach for table use (bearing is nearest the router collet). There are a few reasons for this:

- You can easily adjust the height to have the bearing come up to the top of your template item. Hopefully you don't have a template that has varying thickness issues!

- The item you are actually controlling and applying pressure to should, IMO, be the stock that's being cut. The template just rides the bearing and doesn't necessarily require the first level of force application. With the template on top you run the risk of slightly shifting the template so it contacts the bearing, but the workpiece is shifted slightly and doesn't fully come to the router bit. Unlikely, I know, but it's my preference.

- I prefer to see my workpiece so I can gauage potential tear out spots (e.g. corners or rounded edges on fussy woods; grain direction, etc). I may choose to climb cut those areas.

Whenever doing template routing, you should use a small item holder and/or get a safety attachment that covers the bit. While a saw blade might sever your finger and it could potentially be reattached, a router bit will just mangle your parts and there's no hope of restoration.

Here are my personal choices:
            Small parts holder: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5296

Bit guard for free-routing: http://www.benchdog.com/proguard.htm

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have the one with the bearing farthest from the collet, now I'll go find the 1/2" one with top mount. Only found it in 1/4" at Lowes and HD. Time for a trip to Woodcrafters.Geez a whole bunch of new stuff to learn about, and I haven't finished learning about the other stuff yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hector B View Post
                Thanks for all the replies guys. I have the one with the bearing farthest from the collet, now I'll go find the 1/2" one with top mount. Only found it in 1/4" at Lowes and HD. Time for a trip to Woodcrafters.Geez a whole bunch of new stuff to learn about, and I haven't finished learning about the other stuff yet.
                Ahmen, brother!! The great thing is there's always something new to learn. The other great thing is the folks here are very giving and knowledgeable! I owe a wealth of thanks to the people here.
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                X