The worlds best shop vac. modification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The worlds best shop vac. modification

For a smaller version of a homemade vac, use a 90 pound metal grease drum from the neighborhood auto repair shop. It has a nice rubber gasket in the lid that the suction seals really well. Cut off the seal tabs on the cover with snips and file the rough areas.

Comment

That would work great too! And my son is a mechanic! LOL Might be tough getting it clean though, but it would not collapse.

Mark
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

TWM

That's how I got it as far as the drum and cloth bag go. I restored all the electricals and rebuilt the motor which really wasn't bad for an old machine. The hose is commercial 2" ID crush proof like used on heavy duty industrial vacuum cleaners. The only thing that bothers me is that this bad old dog really loves to HOWL when runs. It's not the high pitch scream of modern vacs but more like a basset hound howl only it lasts until I turn it off. LOL

I'm sure that now lots of us are going to re-invent the shop vac and someone will really get the new machine design just right. Be careful not to post too much or one of the big companies may see it and copy your hard work. Somewhere I saw a super vac with 5 HP gasoline engine and a 55 gallon steel drum which holds super duty big trash bags. It's a machine made for cleaning up gutters and yard darin sytems. Try searching this forum for gutter cleaning and you may find the old thread. I'm pretty sure there are pictures and links where you can find info on it. When I saw the downloadable video of it working, I had in mind changing the engine over to a big electric motor and making up one super dirt eater shop vac out of their machine. The problem is that it would be big $$$ and it's a big beast machine for inside a small shop.

By the way to clean the grease drum, get some kerosene and a box of Scott "Rags In A Box" at an auto parts store. Be sure to either burn them up or put them into a steel trash can until the trash truck comes. Recycle the kerosene at a place that takes bulk used engine oil. A gallon of kerosene with 100 gallons of waste oil won't matter. Chances are you'll use a cup or two. Whip it as clean as you can with the Rags before using the Kerosene. Never use paint thinner or gasoline. That's asking for problems big time.
        Last edited by Woussko; 06-24-2007, 09:18 PM.

Comment

For those of you wanting a good power head made for use with a 55 gallon drum, but it doesn't have to be one, this might be an idea. Here is one with a good commercial grade motor and fans. This bad boy is not the cheapo junk grade that most (say under $250) shop vacs are. I haven't priced this but you might look it over and price one if interested. As long as your drum is the same ID and OD as a 55 gallon steel drum, this should work.

http://www.shopvac.com/vacs/detail.a...rview&StoreID=

Hello Emerson Electric-Ridgid how about making one of these and rig it to fit several sizes of drums?

Drum Idea: How about the nice 5 gallon buckets and lids used for stuff like floor wax and stripper among other chemicals. Actually Dunkin Doughnuts has real nice ones with nice lids that the doughtnut filling comes in. You need to go early in the morning ask them if you can buy one or two from them. They do clean them and send them back to fill up again, but sometimes they have one they keep for junky use.
          Last edited by Woussko; 06-24-2007, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Well, so far so good. It's wonderful not having to jump up and down on one leg while trying to hold the vac canister and vent the bag and not ckoke to death in the process.

One thing I did notice was the filter seemed to be getting plugged real fast compaired to the old vacuum. I opened it, cleaned the filter good, put it back on and turned it on and let it run for about a minute. Pulled the top again and the filter was plugged, even though I had not vacuumed up anything. I noticed the sawdust was all piled to one side and the bottom of the bag directly below the hose inlet was visible. Figured it was blasting in so fast it was blowing the sawdust around and covering the filter. I ended up making a 6" baffle out of sheetmetal that I pop riveted to the lid to act as a disturbance to the air flow. Now the incomming air/crap hits the baffle and is sent right and left and not straight down. Guess what? No more plugged filter! LOL
            Cool!

Now If I can just find a way to re-do my Jet dust collector so I can strap on a regular trash bad and pull it and dump it bag and all. Changing/emptying those big clear bags is as nasty as the old shop vac and the bags are not "throw away", atleast not at the price they charge for em!

Mark
            Last edited by The Wood Meister; 07-18-2007, 02:58 PM.
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Well, I had a major melt down on my vacuum yesterday! I was making rosettes on my drill press and had the vac hooked to the table sucking up the chips. All of a sudden the lights dimmed a tad, the drill press slowed down and the vac noise change. I smelled something nasty and before I knew it, the vac motor was bellowing smoke everywhere. Nothing worse than melted burned windings in a motor.

so off to Lowes tape measure in hand. Settled on a new Shop Vac 4.5 hp. Kinda big but usuable. I ended up cutting the hole in the trash can lid a little larger and then cut about 5" off the bottom of the new vac. Re-did my weather stripping and attached the new vac with 4 little angle tabs and screws. Got a brandy new hose and attachments too! Now all is well in the shop, plus my wife found a $10 off card for Lowes too! Cool.

Mark

And being the cheap skate that I am and not wanting to waste anything, my doggy got a new custom 3 gallon water dish in the deal too!

Comment

now thats a water dish
                nice idea on the vac
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Up until I saw the bottom cut off your Slowes shop vac I was going to suggest taking it back and waiting till Friday morning and getting one of the Ridgid 12 Gal shop vacs that are going to cost $29

Cool idea too though

Comment

OA.....geee, thanks alot! LOL I looked at the Ridgid last night online and didn't see one that I tought would work. I was trying to find one that had the motor housing that would fit and none would. Once I got to Lowes, I noticed that I could cut off the bottom of the can and use it like that.

Oh well, atleast I got 10 bucks off and it's a killer vac.

Mark

Comment

T W M

Please do yourself some more fun and register your new ShopVac on their web site. Then get your online 10% off coupon for any filters or accessories you might want to order from their site. Please look at the CleanStream super filters. Once you try one you'll really be going wild.

Super Filter: http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=332 (sometimes Lowes has them on sale)

Special web site deals: http://www.shopvac.com/list.asp?ids=...s+And+Specials

Hoses, filters and accessories: http://www.shopvac.com/accessories.asp (This is where the fun stuff is)

UPDATE: Personally I like their blue filters. They wash nice under running water and filter better than the cheapo one that come with the vac. Unlike the CleanStream super filter I find they don't plug up as fast.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 11-21-2007, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I tried one of the cleanstream filters once. I got sooooooo tired of cleaning it every 5 minutes that I ditched it and went back to the regular one. I know it's super good but it plugged soo fast I just got sick of it. I don't need it to be "that" clean in my shop as I also have my cooler running most all the time giving me lots of venting outdoors.

I'll register my vac though! I like discounts!

Mark

Comment

Just a thought but how about cutting a bit more off the drum so it sits lower on the trash can? It looks pretty top heavy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa_PA View Post
                            Just a thought but how about cutting a bit more off the drum so it sits lower on the trash can? It looks pretty top heavy to me.

I thought about that too. But given that it had this really nice ridge were I cut it and that i'm lazy and like having it high (i'm 6'-7") I thought i'd try it this way. It seems to be doing fine and even pulled it around with the hose and it rolled good.

Comment

Working...
                            X