X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worlds best shop vac. modification

Came up with this idea yesterday, finished it today. It's one of those "why didn't I think of it years ago!" things.

Clicky here!!!

Mark

Re: The worlds best shop vac. modification

That's a great idea. Thank's for showing how you made it. Great job!

Comment

Got that exact same shop vac & absolutely detest using it because of the noise. It's as noisy as when a jet airliner is coming in to land & on touchdown, the engines are thrown into full reverse.

Don't get me wrong now, I use foam ear plugs rated at 32 decible noise reduction, but that sucker is so noisy I can't hear any other machinery when it's on & there's times when you need to be able to hear the tone of your wood working machines.

Besides your excellent adaption, the car muffler was what stood out to me.

Thanks for that great idea.
      Last edited by bigscore; 06-22-2007, 05:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I especially enjoyed reading and seeing the pictures of the evolution of your design. Most times we only get to see the final result. Nice to see I am not the only one who must go through several reiterations of a design before I am satisfied. Super job!

Comment

Thanks everyone. Didn't get any "work" done today but that thing, once rolling around in my pea brain, just had to get done.

Bigscore.....give the muffler a try. It does help quite a bit. It's still noisey but doesn't scream like before. I've even seen plastic ones made just for vacs. I have 2 other ones that are very quiet. Not quite as strong but work fine. One is on my stationary belt sander. Very quiet. I guess the builders of these things equate noise with power.

Mark

Comment

Crap! I did it again! LOL Posting with the wrong name. Oh well, maybe I can combine my post numbers and 86 my "jmark" name.
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

very nice. when i saw cut concrete and get that half water half slime/ slurry, i use a very heavy wall plastic 55 gallon drum. my neighbor has an auto detailing business and his soaps come in this drum. when he empties them, he gives them to me for my scrap metal/ copper/ brass $$$.

the drums are much more of a heavy wall and you can cut the top off pretty easy. they also have 2'' bung thread.

those rubbermaid brute cans are very nice. they also have a matching set of snap on casters to allow for real mobility. i can fill a 45 gallon can with sewage and still have the wheels support it and roll. i also installed a 2'' drain on the side at the bottom to allow for draining it.

like the muffler too. where's the catalytic converter? wouldn't be legal here in calif. without one

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Nice!
                Patent Pending #914235796670445622326

Comment

That's a great idea!! Thanks for posting the whole journey, too. Like VegasGuy, I'd only ever seen the final story kinds of design ideas. It's good to see someone go through the entire project from idea to prototype to final design.

Besides, it really is a GREAT idea!! I'm almost tempted to get on Craigslist and start lookin for those motors. It sure would be nice to have something I could dedicate to the router station and TS, instead of rolling my one and only shopvac from sander (one end of shop) all the way to the other end where the TS and router live.

I had no idea you could "frankenstein" a muffler onto those things!!! I might have to give just that a try on the Ridgid shopvac! While it's not quite in the 747 range of noise, it isn't really what I'd call quiet. That high-pitched turbine whine is definitely there.

Thanks, WoodMeister. It's a great idea, and it's great you shared it!
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy, ck the thrift stores too! I always see them there. I have 3 shop vacs now plus my dust collector. I keep one shop vac in the corner as a spare incase I have a motor failure. I think I paid 5 bucks for it and it works great, except for the 3 gallon canister! LOL

The new "QSP" shop vacs are very quiet! I have one on my belt sander and it's not bad at all and very compareble to the suction and flow of my big Genie. Now if I could just find a quiet house vacuum!!! LOL

Mark
                    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

TWM

There are vacuum cleaners for around your house that are nice and quiet, but I must warn you that they aren't cheap. Do you want a canister-tank type for use with a hose, or an uprite for carpets?

By the way, I like the trash bag in the can idea. I think Rick has the right idea of the heavy wall plastic 55 gallon drum. I have seen people make up similar arrangements using a steel 55 gallon drum and some home made device to keep the trash bag in place.

As for cutting the noise, if your Vac has a blower port where you can attach a hose, try a piece of hose and some thin wall PVC pipe. Put the discharge so it blasts under the overhead door, or rig up a home brew dryer vent through the wall. This takes some inventing, but it can be done and the noise and fine dust go outside. By the way if you can find a dealer for central vacuum cleaners, they have some wild goodies including mufflers made for this and that really do cut the noise down.

Comment

When I was at HD, I saw 55 gallon trash bags!!! LOL I thought, wow, that would make one killer vacuum, but then thought about pulling out a bag full of it and changed my mind. A smaller 30 gallon would be good or even a 15 gallon gear oil can would work too. But all in all, i'm happy so far.

Comment

Awesome Mark!

I'll tell you another benifit I see in this idea for folks like me who have every tool they own in their truck; you can leave a trash can with a hole in the lid in the bed of a pick up without worrying about getting it ripped off and store the motor in your lock box. This way I can get away from my whole vac taking up valuable space inside. I have the pro-pac vac and love it, but the tank is so small that the filter gets clogged super quick. I may try it with a larger rectangular bin so the filter wont sit in the dust.

I'll post pictures if I get the time to do it, and credit of course to the mad inventor!!
                          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I'm going to try the idea of a plastic trash bag (need to find right size) along with some manor of holding it in place inside of my 10 gallon ShopVac. I like mine in that it can be used with paper dust bags but they get into too much $$$ other than for when I use it for very fine dust like drywall and such. Most of the time I take it outside and just dump it out. With larger size models the plastic trash bag idea is great.

By the way there are special lids made for different size drums (or trash cans) with an inlet and exhaust connection. You connect up your vacuum cleaner to the outlet and your hose to the inlet. The heavy dirt falls into the drum or trash can and the fine dust passes on to the shop vac or such.

Now if you want to go get wild, you might try something like what's in the pictures below, but keep in mind this bad boy is an antique built way back in 1944. It does still run and runs well after some fixing up now and then. I bought it used but in pretty good condition some time ago.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Woussko; 06-24-2007, 05:05 AM.

Comment

That is one awesome looking old vacuum!!! I love old stuff. Has it been restored or is it still looking that good since new? That's cool!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X