Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here/ TS3650

Hi to all,

I have been reading for about a week and you guys are great! I also belong to some aviation forums and the civility here is nice. On to my questions and assumptions. I assume from reading that I can use a 8" dado set DW7670, get some close fit inserts, and find a better miter and blade and be on the road? I would like to cut tenons also. What would a good tenon jig be for this saw? Thanks for all the help I have received before even posting. This must cut down a lot on the time to hold for Rigid tech suport! Also, Rigid, why can't accessories be more in number and sold alongside the saws at big orange box stores? Thanks again!

Craig

Re: New here/ TS3650

After some advice here from some of the long time owners of the TS 3650, I bought the DeWalt 7670 dado set & have been extremely pleased with it.

Freud LU84R011 combination blade for general cutting.

Freud LU87R010 thin kerf for fine ripping.

Freud LU88R010 thin kerf for fine cross cutting.

Very satisfied with all of these blades.

The stock blade has been relegated to cutting crap woods.

Forrest Chopmaster blade for my 12" SC Miter Saw & again, while pricey, just love the cuts it gives compared to the stock blade the saw came with.

Again, the stock blade is reserved for cutting crap woods like pressure treated lumber & anything resinous.

Can't speak to tenon jigs though. I'm sure others who can answer will be along shortly.

Comment

Welcome, cchip, glad to have you aboard. I'm not too experienced with tenons, having used just my miter gauge with dubious success. SO, when I saw Woodcraft's on sale a couple of months ago I grabbed it for $20 off. I can't report on its effectiveness yet but you can do what I did and go to Amazon and read reviews of different jigs a see what the prevailing opinions on are on the various models. There is also the technique o using your router table to do this but my home-built one isn't up to it (ad neither is the operator. If I had a decent way to stabilize the stock it would be a viable option. Reasearch, research, research and then, take the plunge.

Best of luck,
      Chiz
      Later,
      Chiz

Comment

Blades:
        The Forrest WoodWorker II always gets top reviews and opinions. I have a Ridge Carbide TS2000 and LOVE it. I've never seen this much carbide on the blade tooth of any tool!

I have the Woodcraft tenoning jig, and can report that it is a solid, substantial accessory. Unfortunately, I only used it once back when I had a nice high ceiling garage.. now I'm in a basement workshop and frankly can't tenon anything over 4 feet vertically-long on top of my table saw. I rarely use it, maybe to cut a spline channel for a picture frame or to cut a tenon on a small craftsmen style frame.

So I use my router for general tenon work. I'd suggest a coping sled / jig (Rockler has it on sale right now). Use your tablesaw to make the initial cut at the shoulder line, then use the router to remove the rest of the tenon waste, to the same height of the first cut. Works great, but measure blade / bit height carefully!

Comment

Thanks all! I bought the Forrester Woodworker II. Nice blade. I held up purchase of a dado blade. I also got a Rockler saw/router guide. I am looking at getting a Bench Dog steel router extension soon. I am into my first project. A very basic bookshelf for my kids.

Comment

Uh oh... Watch out for the Bench Dog ProMax... you'll really like it. Then you'll need a nice router to go with it. then a set of router bits.. then a bunch of router jigs.. then a nice dust collection system.. then a bunch of expensive wood.... then...

As my wife likes to remind me, this is an expensive hobby to start!

Oh yeah, since you're looking at having a full cast-iron surface, you should consider the Magswitch featherboards. These work exceptionally well, and they're a cinch to use with the 3650's top and the ProMax.

Make sure you look up the ProMax forum discussions. There's a lot of information and advice on mounting it, supporting it (on the right side), etc etc and you can see how bad a** your shop will look with the gleaming expanse of cast iron.

Comment

You were right Wood Junkie. I got the Pro MAx. Then a PC 892. Now a Incra jig. This stuff is worse than airplanes!

Comment

I have this jig and it works well. Its the same one ole Norm uses on TV. I got mine at lowes.

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Abou...a-c570d51da129
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Working...
                X