X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runners on Crosscut Sled

OK....so I made a nice crosscut sled for my TS. I went to Rockler and got 2 runners to be attached to the bottom that would run in the miter slots. They fit just fine.

BUT...(insert mild rage here).....I can't get them attached fully and still slide smoothly through the miter slots. I have tried putting the rails in the slots, lining them up, putting strong double stick tape on the outside, then lower the bottom of the sled on it. It sides fine like that...but when I try to sink some screws into it...it tourqes it out of alignment.

Is there a better way to do this before I throw this thing against my garage wall?!?!?! Gooooosssfrraaabbbaaaaaa.

Thanks,
    Hef

Re: Runners on Crosscut Sled

Predrill the holes with the runners clamped to the sled (leave the two-sided tape on). By predrilling, the screws won't have the tendency to follow the grain and push things out of alignment.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Hef View Post
      Is there a better way to do this before I throw this thing against my garage wall?!?!?! Gooooosssfrraaabbbaaaaaa.

Thanks,
      Hef
      Hilarious movie

I would agree with Gofor and just add emphasis on clamping.
      I would try leaving the clamps on while the fasteners are being driven.
      Cheers! - Jim
      -------------
      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Check Niki's solution.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13945

Good luck.

Comment

I'd be curious to know if you get this to work. On my saw, the miter slots appear to be slightly narrower at the ends, as opposed to in the middle. Even one "miter track" will not slide from one end to the other. If I adjust it for a good fit in the center of the table, it binds at the ends. Getting two of them to work simultaneously would be impossible.

Comment

I had a similar problem and all I did was to double check for squareness and found the runner was "out" just a hair. I re-set it and now it glides through perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by jbateman View Post
              I'd be curious to know if you get this to work. On my saw, the miter slots appear to be slightly narrower at the ends, as opposed to in the middle. Even one "miter track" will not slide from one end to the other. If I adjust it for a good fit in the center of the table, it binds at the ends. Getting two of them to work simultaneously would be impossible.
              I'm of the school that instructs us to correct problems. If my miter slots had the same dimensions I'd be using (with great care, mind you) a good file to 'adjust' them. Use the one finished slot as reference guide for the second one.
              Following Niki's tutorial, I'm impressed with a few things. Niki must have made the nice big wooden hand screw clamps used in the project. Really nice! His working methods are well thought out. He used metric measurements.
              My next sled will be made following his methods.
              Yes, I've made more than one. In fact I have two in use now. One's a big honker and the other one is small and light.
              I also make specific angle miter gage sleds. Almost never use the factory miter gage.

d.

Comment

For my sleds, I use the double sided tape, then shoot a few brads into the runner to hold position while drilling the pilot holes and screwing together. Always works for me. jbateman, sounds like you may have a burr at the ends of the slots, as Don mentioned, just dress the ends with a file.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                X