X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first real & nice project

Well I finally finished. I've been working on these since the 3rd week of March. My brother in-law had admired a pair that I had made from old cedar fence boards a while back and asked me to make him a pair for is birthday, April 1. A weeks notice is fine for rustic barn wood ones since I can whip them up pretty quickly. Since I was out of the old barnwood/fence boards I decided to make them out of new ones. Then he and my sister started to ask if I could make them smooth, then stain, then no stain, then varnish then... I'm pretty busy these days so I didn't have a chance to work on them too often, but this weekend I finally finished.

Thanks for letting me show them off.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 9.5 fingers to go; 06-26-2007, 08:23 AM.
    No, the half of the missing finger was not power tool related.

Re: My first real & nice project

Great job!!!!And Kudos for saving money by recycling wood!!!Reread post!!!!!Guess you used new but I gather you like recycling barn wood!!!
    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Nine-and-a-half, those are awful perrrty!

Are those red cedar? What did you finally wind up doing with regards to the finish? It looks like varnish or polyurethane. Either way, VERY nice!

I use a different plan for the chair itself, but I love your finish and would probably use that on the half dozen I'm making this summer (like you, family asking for 'em...). Please detail your finishing.

Thanks!

Comment

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing.

- Steve

Comment

beautiful!
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Those even look comfy!!! Nicely done, 9&1/2!!
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                Nine-and-a-half, those are awful perrrty!

Are those red cedar? What did you finally wind up doing with regards to the finish? It looks like varnish or polyurethane. Either way, VERY nice!

I use a different plan for the chair itself, but I love your finish and would probably use that on the half dozen I'm making this summer (like you, family asking for 'em...). Please detail your finishing.

Thanks!
                Thank you, I'm perrrty proud of them, but glad to have them go so that I can start on something new. They are made out of red cedar and I used a Semi-gloss Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. Three coats with sanding prior to and in between coats. After the third I used a piece of worn out 400 grit sand paper to knock any dust particles/air bubbles down. Then buffed back to the semi-gloss shine with a pocket rag.

Comment

Nine and a half................great looking chairs. How soon can you deliver a pair to Austin. Just kidding, but nice job.

Comment

Very nice work 9 .5
                    Great use of recycled wood.
                    They have a nice design to them.
                    John from Belgrave ont.

www.extremebirdhouse.com

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...d=112698715866

Comment

Actually these were not made of recycled wood. I was out of old barn wood so I had to use new boards. I just reread my post and noticed the misleading statement. Sorry about that. However, the below pics are of my first chairs. Rustic, but nothing like the new ones. Maybe I should take them apart and plane them down to do the same thing.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 9.5 fingers to go View Post
                        Actually these were not made of recycled wood. I was out of old barn wood so I had to use new boards. I just reread my post and noticed the misleading statement. Sorry about that. However, the below pics are of my first chairs. Rustic, but nothing like the new ones. Maybe I should take them apart and plane them down to do the same thing.

Naw, leave 'em natch'rul. I think both sets look nice. Whose plans did you use for them?

Good job!
                        Chiz
                        Later,
                        Chiz

Comment

The plans came from the below link to Popular Mechanics. I made a few mods to the latest chairs to accomodate for my use of thinner material. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...g/1273151.html

Comment

Working...
                          X