X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwood sales and prices

Just a quick question. New member and this is my first post.

I have monitored the list for about two months. About a month ago, I purchased a 2424. Being my first Ridgid tool, I am very impressed. I have also since bought the 16 Gallon vac with blower. The bandsaw, planer and jointer all in the near future plans! [img]smile.gif[/img]

So to my question...

I have seen all of the posts referring to Atlanta Hardwoods. I have also seen that several people have referenced paying $3-5 for most hardwoods. I just found a local hardwood supplier that sells several familiar types such as maple, red oak and ash for about $2/bf. He notes that that the lumber is '13/16" FAS S2S straight line ripped on one side'.

Why is this pricing so cheap compared to other posts that I have seen?

Do I have a great deal? Or am I missing something?
    Thanh Rodke<br />Woodworker Stuck in a Computer Geek\'s Body...

You may be telling you something you already know (If so, I apologize for the lengthy letter), but you have to be aware of board foot (BF) prices and linear foot (LF) prices. I find that my local hardwood supplier sells by the board foot, while the Home Depot sells by the linear foot.

A linear foot is a board 12” long, with regard to it’s width. The board could be 4” wide, 6” wide, or whatever, if you have a piece 12” long you have a linear board feet. If you have a board 8’ long, you have 8 linear feet. This is how Home Depot and Lowes sell lumber.

Most hardwood specialty stores sell by the board foot. A board foot is 144” cubic inches, or a board that’s 12” wide by 12” long by 12” thick, or a combination of these measurements that give you 144” cubic inches. A board foot could be 12’W*12’L*1”T, or it could be 6”W*24L*1”T.

If a board is 1-1/2” thick, then a board that measures 12”W*12”L*1-1/2”T would be 1-1/2 board feet, because of the extra ½’ thickness.

I used to think that Home Depot had better prices than my hardwood supplier, but then I stopped and did the math one day and found that HD was about 50% higher than the hardwood supplier on Red Oak.

Most hardwood suppliers supply lumber that needs to be run through a jointer and planer, but lumber savings should pay for the extra equipment in a short time (if you do a lot of woodworking).

By the way, I pay $4.95 a board foot at my local hardwood supplier (Northern California).
    Greg

Comment

Dang it, I wish I could un-post a reply. I didn’t review my previous post and noticed the following error. A board foot is a board 12” wide by 12” long by 1” thick, not 12” thick as I mentioned in my post.

Sorry.
      Greg

Comment

Yep, that's right. Both a guy in sales and later the lady who answers the phone told me that almost everything they carry (the common woods) are about $1.50 to $2.00 per board foot. He described them to me just as you did. Varying width and length, but all '13/16" straight line 1 edge'.

I ask and he confirmed that they can order rough cut in quarter measurements, but that would be priced per order.

They also told me that they can cut everything down to the same width if I requested it at least a day in advance. In other words all the material would be the same width, but would be various lengths. And that it would still be the same price. He said that it was no big deal to end up with smaller pieces, because they had over 3 million board feet of material in inventory.

The exact numbers he gave were: Red Oak-1.89; Ash-1.49; Maple-2.15; Red Cedar-1.50; and Poplar-1.39. They carry cherry and white oak, but he didn't have the cost on hand for them.

By the other posts that I've read, seems almost too good to be true.

Comment

I need to ammend the $4.95/bf I paid for red oak- it was rift-sawn red oak; a little higher. Flat-sawn red oak is still going at about $3.95/bf.

Still, the only price I'm familiar with is the red oak, and $1.89/board foot is the cheapest by far of any prices I've seen anywhere.

It is too good to be true. Could they be price-leading you? You know, give you good prices, then when you come in you find the wood is not of a good grade, and they turn you to a higher grade wood at a higher price?

If you purchase this wood with no gimmicks, I am truly going to be invious. I just purchased red oak for an armoire I'm building, about $600 worth. If I had your prices I could have stepped up to cherry ($5.95/bf here in California).
          Greg

Comment

Among other things there are few things that stick out in my mind that affect price, quantity purchased,how it's dried, plus the availiability of the product in the area and going market. Air dried wood is typicaly cheaper, but it has the potential to be less stable over time. This is not always the case, and Kiln drying doesn't guarntee that it won't split, check or bow either. The quality of the wood has a big factor on price as does the quantity of wood that you buy. I just picked up some Kiln Dried Quartersawn white oak at $2.30 a board foot, but had to buy 200 board feet to get that price.

Comment

That's a really good price. Can you let us know what the name of the place is and do they sell over the internet?
              Semper Fi <BR>Chuck<BR>USMC 66-70

Comment

Okay, I'll try to answer everyone.

I just called and they said that the material was kiln dried.

As I remember, the prices given were for any quantity. I think that quantity pricing starts at 50 bf. They don't stock quartersawn. Everything they have in stock is already planed to 13/16" with a few exceptions.

Their web site is supposed to be www.texocal.com, but I have not been able to access it. Other info:
                (254) 778-3561/FAX (254) 778-6961

BTW, what is the difference between rift-sawn and flat-sawn?

If it turns out to be good, I'll gladly order and have shipped for anyone on the list.

Comment

Quarter, rift, and flat sawn has to do with the way the board was cut off the tree. Basically:

First, look at the endgrain on the end of the board.

Quartersawn- the grain is 90 degrees to the width of the board. This creates straight grained boards on the surface, with great visual "flecks", especially in oak.

Rift sawn- the grain is almost 90 degrees, but not quite. You still get strait grain on the surface, but not as many flecks.

Both quartersawn and rift sawn are very stable boards.

Flat sawn- the grain is not 90 degrees, but it almost runs almost paralell to the width of the board (runs parallel with both face surfaces). The surface of the board has a grain pattern that's nick-named cathedral (Big, long 'V's).

Flat sawn is about the only thing you'll get in the big stores, such as Depot or Lowes. It's the most commonly used wood in projects, which is why I like to use Rift or Quarter. The projects look different; they look older. Most older furniture was built from quarter or rift.
                  Greg

Comment

I went to the texocal.com website but was not able to use the link provided to get there. I went to Dogpile search engine and entered "texocal" in the search field and got lots of hits for TEX-O-CAL. It appearsto be a high volume mill that's been around for quite some time. to get to the search engine I used just type dogpile.com in the address line and hit enter.

A neighbor of mine has told me about a place in the Bryan-College Station, TX area that has unusually low prices on hardwoods and hardwood plywood. I've seen some of the red oak molding he had picked up for about 1/5 of the price HD asks. That's right, 1/5! I'll talk to him and see if he can remember the name of the place. If not, I'll be going up that way within the next 3 or 4 weeks and I'll be stocking up. I'll get the name of the place posted as soon as I can.

Comment

Working...
                    X