X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Cabinets

I accidentally posted this in another section, meant to be in the woodworking section:

My first attempt at building cabinets:

and all 4 completed and hung in the garage:

Carcass made of 1/2" Birch plywood
    Face Frame made of Ash, joined with "FF" biscuits
    tongue and groove doors made of ash w/ red oak panel
    Last edited by k47k; 07-11-2007, 08:15 PM.

Re: Shop Cabinets

That's beautiful, K47k!! The doors look straight and the reveal looks good all the way around. Well done!!!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Nice job. Thanks for sharing..
      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Really nice job, but my wife would not have let me put it on the table like that (might scratch it) no matter how good it looks.

Clato

Comment

Very nice k. Mind if I ask what type of joinery you used for the project?

Comment

Hector,

1/2” Birch Ply box, Ash face frame and door stile/rails, redoak door panels.
            Dado sides and back to accept top and bottom
            rabbet sides to accept back
            dado face frame to accept box
            Tongue and groove doors

Comment

For shop cabinets they look great, I could only imagine what your kitchen cabinets look like or would look like if you took on that project...very nice
              How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

Great job. They look great. Makes me want to put away my fly rod for a few days and get back some of the projects I have started and have not yet completed!
                Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I noticed you said you rabated the back. What method did you use to hang them? (I am about to build something similar for my garage, and am thinking of going the "French cleat" method.)
                  Beautiful work.
                  Go
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Gofor,

I thought about going the french cleat route but wound up mounting the back flush. the sides were rabbeted to accept the back which was glued and brad nailed through the sides. after mounting i tested durability by hanging off the face frame with all my weight (225lbs). They didnt budge. All carcass peices are 1/2".

the main reason for not going the french cleat route was i thought it would detract from the cabinet space. Also the wall i was mounting on was not straight, i though it would be easier to shim the cabinets without doing the french cleat.

Comment

Angrybeaver,

Thanks, actaully my kitchen cabinets were purchased. I redid my kitchen in february and march of this year. The project is actually what got me into woodworking. After seeing what cabinets cost all i kept thinking was "I could make the same thing, of higher quality for 1/3 or 1/4 of the price".

So i began woodworking and build these cabinets to prove that i could do it, and do it cheaper.

When we were mounting the kitchen cabinets, one of them got dropped from about waist high and it fell apart. A cabinet that i build will cost 1/4 and will last forever, even if dropped (several times).

If you want it done right you gotta do it yourself.

lesson learned.

Comment

Working...
                      X