Ready made ZCI's for TS3650

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready made ZCI's for TS3650

For those of you who don't want to take the time to make your own ZCI's, I have some good news for you. I just received (today) two new ones that I ordered from Amazon.com less that a week ago. Leecraft Premium Model RG-1.

These things are perfectly flat and have adjusting screws for both side to side and front to back (plus four adjusting screws for leveling). There is a finger hole for easy removal, but no front hold-down screw hole. The instructions note that the front hold-down screw is not needed.

Adjustments are easily made and the fit is perfect. I thought the ones I made from Corian were close to perfect, but these from Leecraft are better. I am more than satisfied with my purchase.

Shipping was free, plus there was a 20% discount code. Total cost for the two of them to my door was $37.10.

When I ordered them I thought the advertisement said they were white, but when they arrived they were international orange and matched the color of the TS3650 perfectly. I might have liked white better, but these are so pretty - blah, blah,blah.

When I ordered, I was under the assumption that they would not be in stock until sometime after mid July, and that I would be placed on a waiting list, and they would ship when my turn came, but a couple days later I got an email that told me they were shipped and would arrive on July 3rd. They came in the mail (USPS) today - 29 June.

Somewhere on this forum, someone mentioned the Leecraft RG-1, but I don't remember who, but in any event, I would like to thank that unknown person. I just love this forum, and am glad that I found it a little over six months ago. I have been a constant reader for that length of time. Just a great bunch of guys (and gals) with a lot of good information. Thanks to all of you.

Mick

Re: Ready made ZCI's for TS3650

Mick -

Thanks for the info!

It's great to know there is an easy option for anyone who doesn't want to make there own ZCIs. Nice job with all the information you gave -- that's awesome.

Mike

Comment

Good deal, Mick! Thanks for taking the time to post your experience and the information. I've been making my own for a while. I bought one at a tool show, and it's ok. When I get around to ordering some more, I think the Leecraft from Amazon will be my choice.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Just a little added information for the LeeCraft RG-1 insert for the TS3650 and a question to anyone who has them and maybe given them a workout.

Added info: These inserts are pregrooved with a 3/8ths" wide by 7/16ths" slot, which allows the kerf to be cut with a ten inch blade. Makes it nice in that you can cut the kerf with the blade you intend to use.

Now the question: If anyone out there has experience with the RG-1 - is there a problem with not using the front hold-down screw? The instructions specifically state that the screw is not needed. There is a split spring pin to hold down the rear of the insert. Since the blade spins from rear to front, that might be sufficient. Any comments?

Once I have had a chance to thoroughly test this insert, I will post if there are any problems, since I do not plan to use a front hold-down screw.

Thanks,

Mick

Comment

Thanks for the great info Mick. Two for $37 is a good deal......that's what I'll be using from now on.

Comment

Quick question. Will the Leecraft RG-1 insert fit the Ridgid TS2400LS? Thanks.

Comment

If it fits the 3650, it will fit the 2400.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

BadgerDave, thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Thanks for the nice overview of these ZCIs. You still have the 20% coupon code handy? Is it still valid?

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                    Thanks for the nice overview of these ZCIs. You still have the 20% coupon code handy? Is it still valid?
                    Code is 20OFFJUN, but I'm sure as the name implies, it's probably not valid anymore.

Comment

As promised, I said I would report once I have had a chance to test these inserts. It was a breeze to cut the kerf. The ten inch blade easily cleared the insert, so there was no need to use a smaller blade to get started. And of course I clamped down the insert before raising the blade.

Maybe I was just lucky, but there was no touching of the blade against the insert, thus no "noise" when turning on the saw on following power-ups. This was not the case on previous inserts that I made, both of wood and "Corian". It took several uses before the slight "touching" disappeared with those. Incidentally, the same blade was used for all inserts.

One thing I did want to report on, is the lack of a screw hole at the front of the insert. I did not drill the hole so did not use a front hold-down screw. The cuts were flawless, and the insert did not move. As advertised, the front hold-down screw is not needed. The adjusting screws held it in place perfectly and a visual inspection after using, showed a nice pristine kerf.

I have not had a chance to test the dado blade, but I feel certain that the results will be the same.

I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but I will mention it anyway. Both Lowes and Home Depot are giving a ten percent discount to Veterans on July 4th. You have to ask for it though. Lowes started their's early - a couple of days ago. I can't speak for HD as the nearest one to me is over 50 miles away.

Cheers and Happy 4th of July,

Mick

Comment

for those of you with the TS2400 it is the same insert that is used in the TS3650
                        Carpenters make the prettiest firewood

Comment

Hey Mick, thanks for the tip on the ZCIs. I have never found any that would fit my 2400 and had resigned myself to having to make some this spring. We started building our retirement house (with my attached dream shop) last summer and as soon as the snow has melted off the road enough to get in, I'm off to the remote country to start the interior work and cabinets so any timesaving devices I can find are going to really help.

Terri

Comment

<<A note of warning>>

The Leecraft RG-1 will not fit the 2400LS without modification. For one, it's too large for the slot. I took a bastard file and got the RG-1 to fit that way. However, there is a ledge on the left side of the blade (facing the front of the table) which prevents the insert from seating fully into hole.

Of course, Leecraft states that the insert is for the 3650 but an earlier post in this thread indicates that it will fit the 2400LS. I state this only to warn others who may not be capable of altering the insert. Others may not have this problem with their RG-1 and 2400LS, but it's certainly the case on my saw.

EDIT: I was just in Woodcraft tonight and saw a Leecraft insert made for the Rigid 24-series table saws. The 2400LS was listed as one of the compatible table saws. Too bad I've already whittled on mine, else I'd exchange them. Live and learn I guess.
                            Last edited by HokieJoe; 01-23-2008, 10:31 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Working...
                            X