X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill chuck keeps on falling off

I have the Ridgid 15" drill and the last couple of times I have used it, the drill chuck has fallen right off. Admittedly I was going through hard wood with a Irwin speedbor bit (I can't remember the name of them... but it looks like an "M" in profile), but I have done that before.

The chuck drops right off the taper. I have cleaned both with mineral spirits and forced the chuck on to the taper with the table/board per instructions.

Any ideas?? I have a couple of days off for the first time in months and I was really looking forward to getting something built!!

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
    George

Re: Drill chuck keeps on falling off

Mineral spirits can leave a very thin film on the parts. I would try using a clean rag and sort of rub off everything down to bare steel. That's inside the chuck and also the spindle. Next take a good light and magnifing glass and really look for any little dings or such. This needs to be the perfect fit.

As for how to get the chuck to stay, I do a wood pecker approach. I slide it on by hand and give it a bump with my hand. Then with a wood block on the table, lower the spindle and bump the end of the chuck (jaws fully retracted) a few times. You can also swat the end of the chuck with a wood block or if you have one a brass hammer. The idea is to seat it by hand and be sure it's straight and then use a few impacts (reasonable) to seat it fully. Vibration does sometimes cause them to come apart and the chuck fall off the spindle. They really should use both a key drive and a retaining screw to hold it on. Try changing speeds until you get minimal grabbing and also vibration. Each bit and each task will have a speed where things run nice. If you run the spindle too fast it will chatter like mad and to slow and the bit grabs in and jams. Practice a little and you'll get the idea.

Comment

Try this, Open the chuck as far as you can to protect the jaws, place an piece of pine 2x4on it and with a fairly heavy hammer smack it a couple of times, at least thats what I had to do on my DP. They should probably be pressed, but ....

Comment

So basically...whack the heck out of it...

And for that I needed to post??

(That's my way of saying thanks....)

George

Comment

No too hard or you'll go blind
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ā€œIf I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.ā€ - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

cute.... real cute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              No too hard or you'll go blind

geez you made me laugh out loud...co-workers were looking at me like WTH?
              How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

Woussko's got it right.
                Be certain both parts of the taper are dry, no dings, grooves, etc. Remove such with a sharp file, clean with scotchbrite. Try to insert the chuck into the spindle with one sharp, fast blow and do not tap if afterwards. Tends to loosen taper fits, sometimes.
                Steve.

Comment

Working...
                X