X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning gorilla glue excess/foam

Good day all, I have looked at the Gorilla Glue website for the answer to this question. I did not see what I'm looking for.

I just assembled some "cheap" knock-down furniture and replaced the crappy cam-lock screw system with dowels. I used Gorilla Glue and the piece is now stable and secure.

As a side bar, the pressed particle board looked like crap they picked up from the forest floor and mixed with glue! It is very coarse and just plain crap! This is a Sister-in-law project. Otherwise, I'd toss this junk and use "real wood" to make the same thing...but "she wants this!!!" ugh!!!!

I was extremely careful to use the minimum amount of glue to reduce the amount of foam out. Sadly I have a small amount.

The problem is the piece is covered in "contact paper" and I'm afraid if I use any thing stronger than say alcohol I'll damage the contact paper. I fear acetone will destroy the contact paper.

The good news is I only have a few visible spots that require some glue foam removal. Anyone have a similar situation? And is willing to share their procedure to clean up the residue?

I will also be using a #15 scalpel to see if I can carefully cut the foam away.

Thanks,

Cactus Man

Re: cleaning gorilla glue excess/foam

Use a scraper. Should work fine. Or a exacto knife blade. I even bought a scaper that used exacto(box cutter) knife blades.
    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

No chemical currently known to man will dissolve the dried foam, it must be scrapped off

Comment

Well, I set up the portable evap unit in the work shop..it's 114 right now here in Glendale AZ. Just another warm summer day!

I poured a cold Red Stripe Beer and pulled out some sharp blades and picks.

After a careful [sweaty] 45 minutes I was able to remove 95% of the foam debris. The remaining foam is such that no one will see it unless they are looking for it. I was not going to push my luck as I feared cutting the contact paper.

I was looking for an easy fix, but you all reaffirmed that the proper procedure and patience are always the best solution to a problem.

Thanks,

Cactus Man

Comment

Like the bottle says, it can only be scraped off or sanded off once dried. I use razor blades to slice it off as well.

Comment

I'll often put painters tape on both side of the glue joint. Once the glue dries, I'll take off the tape and the excess glue along with it.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I've learned through experience that Gear Junkie is right. Painter's tape around the joint works wonders. There's always going to be some squeeze-out, and Gorilla Glue's foam is really tough stuff! Painter's tape will cut down on the amount of scraping. Plus, if the joint is an inside angle (like inside a box), scraping can be a bit tough. I'll tape the edges of the joint, then apply the glue and clamp as normal. When it's dried, pull the tape up and the glue squeeze-out will come with it.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
              X