X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New TS3650 owner - Top Wax Question

I have always used Johnson's (and still have about half the can of it that I bought years ago for this purpose).

However, recently a friend recommended bees' wax, claiming several (dubious) benefits over any floor waxes. It sounded a little strange to me. Has anybody heard of that (or tried it)?

Comment

I use Renaissance Wax on all my metal tabletops - Table Saw, Scroll Saw, Band Saw... whatever. I have been very pleased with how easy it applies.

Comment

I use Boeshield....no wax.

http://www.properautocare.com/boeshieldt9.html

Comment

I live in New England and have my workshop in an unheated garage. I have used Butcher's Wax, Johnson's Wax, and Renaissance Wax. Minwax is probably about the same. I have also used Bostik Topcote and the Empire Topsaver System. They all work for me for an extended period of time. Somebody on some forum a few weeks ago recommended Penetrol. I bought some of that and tried it on some small tools. It seems a little sticky, but I may try it on my tablesaw, rub it well, and slick things up with wax.

If I see a little discoloration on cast iron, I hit it with a Scotchbrite and the Topsaver or mineral spirits to clean it up, and then Topcote or wax or both. The secret is to pay attention and deal with the rust before it gets out of hand. Actually, paying attention is the secret to life in general. I find I need to do something only once every two or three months, but not much. Your climate may require doing something more often. The more you use a tool, the more often you may have to treat it because the coating wears off.

If I use wax, I spread a small amount (don't go overboard with huge chunks) with a paper towel and immediately buff with another wad of paper towels. You probably will see some gray from the cast iron. If you see a rust color, it's because you haven't sanded or Scotchbrited the iron enough before you waxed it. If the wax is too hard to buff out and you see thick swirls of it, you have put it on too thick. It just takes a little and is easier when the temperature is warm. The finished layer will be thin.
          Joe Spear

Comment

I just purchased a TS3650 at HD earlier this week, and because my garage is unheated, I will be leaving it unassembled until it warms up a little here (hopefully later this month). I've been reading the previous posts on this thread regarding surface treatments for the tabletop, and plan to try the Topcote followed by paste wax approach, once I have the thing assembled.

My question is, are the cast iron parts packaged in some sort of rust inhibitor packaging (such as a VCI paper, or rust inhibitor bag) to prevent rust in transit and/or while on the shelf in the store? I'm just wondering if I should be opening up the box and doing something to treat the cast iron pieces so they don't rust while I'm waiting to put them together.

Comment

Morning, I too took advantage of the Home Depot sale and bought my saw.I was going to wait until spring but couldn't pass up the savings. I was on my way back to HD to get wax but it looks like I'm going to Lowes instead. Anyone have an opinion on Bowling Alley Wax?
              Last edited by Dan J.; 03-16-2008, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RochWoodButcher View Post

My question is, are the cast iron parts packaged in some sort of rust inhibitor packaging (such as a VCI paper, or rust inhibitor bag) to prevent rust in transit and/or while on the shelf in the store? I'm just wondering if I should be opening up the box and doing something to treat the cast iron pieces so they don't rust while I'm waiting to put them together.
                Yes, they have a grease / oil coating to prevent rust. You are fine to wait until warmer weather, but I would go get me a heater and get with it.

Comment

Working...
                X