New TS3650 owner - Top Wax Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TS3650 owner - Top Wax Question

I see everyone recommends a good wax for the top to stop rust and keeping it smooth. As I am an old gear head also, has any one used 'Mother's' on the cast top? Seams to work well on all automotive applications. I am open to all comments, or recommendations. I believe Mother's has a small may be more, amount of rubbing compound as well as Carnuba wax.

And by the way thanx to all for helping me in the discission to purchase this saw. I reall like it, now I have to turn my old cheap craftsman into a disc sander. roflmao

Thanks for the input
    Last edited by pjvanella; 07-04-2007, 06:01 PM.

Re: New TS3650 owner - Top Wax Question

PJ -

I doubt Mother's would be good because most car waxes contain silicone, which is bad to us on a TS because it can get on the wood and screw up your finish.

I use and recommend Johnson's paste wax. Available at many hardware stores, home centers, or large discount stores. It is furniture paste wax which you apply, allow to dry to a haze, and then buff off. I've also heard good things about Renaissance Wax.

I cleaned my top with mineral spirits and then rubbed in WD-40 with a 3M pad, then dried it with paper towels and applied Johnson's paste wax. I've been pretty happy with the results. Many other people recommend Boeshield T-9 for rust protection.

Avoid the silicone waxes if you want your wood to finish properly.

Good luck!

Mike

Comment

I definitely agree with Northern! Every car wax I've seen has silicone in it. I'm positive Mother's does. It's a great car wax....not so great for your woodworking tools! Like Northern, I use Johnson's Paste Wax for the tool-tops. Every so often, I'll strip and clean the table top and re-apply the paste wax.

You can find Johnson's at a number of places. I'm fairly sure they have it at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and probably at the grocery store too.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

If you are having a hard time locating the Johnson's Paste Wax, MinWax also has a paste wax that contains no silicone. HD sells the MinWax.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I agree with Sandy and Northern Wood.

Down here in "sunny" Florida, untreated iron and steel rust very quickly. A coat of Johnson's paste wax on my saw table stops the rust. I periodically clean the top with WD-40 and "Scotchbrite" and re wax.

I also use it on my saw blades to reduce friction in use and to prevent rust during storage. Hand tools are also waxed to keep the rust down and edges from becoming pitted.

On some metal items that are not used all that often, or the bottom side of the cast iron saw table, I coat with a thin coat of Penetrol, available in paint stores and HD paint department. It is a paint additive for oil based paints to increase solvent penetration and also works great as a rust inhibitor. Don't use it on the saw table top as it will increase friction and will scratch off.

Comment

I also use the Johnsons paste wax.

Comment

Well it makes sense, regarding silicone, as just today to check I took a clean shop towel and did a rub down of the top, guess what, black/grey residue bad. Will go find Johnsons paste wax. Also if I remember it is also a good wax for old wood also, hmm .

Thanx to everyone for your input, it is appreciated.

Pete

Comment

i used the minwax paste, and still got a few rust marks, esp from my hands around the throatplate from blade changes.

i rubbed those out with barkeepers friend and got some top cote- and i haven't had a problem since.

i still wax for the reduced friction, but i use topcote for protection

i found it at a local woodworking store, but here it is at rockler:
                http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2072
                Last edited by rprice54; 07-05-2007, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                  You can find Johnson's at a number of places. I'm fairly sure they have it at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and probably at the grocery store too.
                  I actually had to go to several different places, including Walmart, K-Mart, Target, the grocery stores, etc. before I finally found it at Lowes. YMMV

Comment

The only place I found Johnson's was at lowes, it was after I had already tried the minwax version.

Comment

I have been using Butchers wax on my TS-3650 since I bought it in 2003 and on other tools (cause its what I had on hand) and it has worked great and lasts a long time. Still using the same can I bought about 6 years ago and will probably get another year or two out of it before its gone. So for about a dollar a year I have treated all my CI tool surfaces, can't beat that.

http://www.bwccompany.com/index.html
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

pj -

Here's my experience with using auto paste wax on my TS3650 table top, from another thread: Click Me.
                        Beware of moisture!

- djb
                        Last edited by djb; 07-07-2007, 06:29 AM. Reason: fixed link
                        sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

I was using just Johnson's Wax and was still getting some rust developing after a couple weeks or so (high humidity here most of the year). On another thread on this subject, someone mentioned that they used Penetrol first and had good luck on all their hand tools also. (Penetrol is actually a paint additive/conditioner. In Lowes, you will find it by the airless spray units). I tried that last Mar. (thin wipe on coat with a rag) and then waxed it with the Johnson's after the penetrol dried . To date (now July) I have not had to reapply anything to the TS table for rust, and it is still rust free. (Have had to reapply the wax when it stopped being slick). It also is working well on my combination and framing squares, hand planes, shovels, axes, etc also, which used to rust very quickly as I SWEAT a lot!
                          Don't remember which of the regulars posted that tip, (if I remember correctly it was in response to OSC asking the same table top question after he moved to FL), but I thank them. The Penetrol costs about $8 a quart, but a quart will last me several years at the rate I am using it. IMHO, it is well worth it.

Go
                          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Your Welcome.

Good memory. It was an answer to OSC back in April that I recommended penetrol for rust prevention of tools. It works well down here in Southwest Florida (where outdoor ceiling fan steel bead chains rust in a matter of a few weeks).

Thats what I like about this forum. Good ideas, techniques and tips that are presented, stick in your head and later on are recalled to make our work/hobby easier and more enjoyable.

I have learned so many things on this site from people who are willing to answer questions, offer advice (and sometimes criticism) to others in a true spirit of cooperation.

Keep the ideas flowing.

Comment

i have owned a 3650 for a year and a half. love the saw plenty of power. I use candle wax. spread it out over saw bed then take a scrap piece and rub over it firmly

Comment

Working...
                              X