Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MT BIKE:
    Thanks for confirming again
    The stories I had painfully listened to from some in smaller sized magazines and weekly area tabloid-like magazines has been way to similar. Play the game or pay the price. We cannot help but question and wonder everytime a review is done as to validity of it. It is wrong but the Money King has throne.

OT - my local Sears remained stocked up on many brands thru last night. Is there any solid word on direction of change from any management?

[ 01-23-2004, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: ChipMaker ]

Comment

My local HDs have dumped Delta tools completely. Not that they had many to start with but what they did have are "no more". Lots and lots of Ryobi, and the new "orangeish" tools. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Still have a mixture of other top brands -- Porter-Cable, Dewalt, etc.

I wish someone around here in Huntsville, Al carried the full line of Porter Cable tools. Most things that Porter-Cable makes are not available in this area. I like to look at a tool before buying so I tend to avoid mail-order.

Comment

even got rid of the Delta Mitre saw??

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
          even got rid of the Delta Mitre saw??

Jake
          not here they didn't. Likely the biggest seller they have-never in stock 'cept the display one
          Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

I don't see h.d. dropping everything but ridgig, because most of the people I have talked to don't know a thing about ridgid and besides, they never have a full inventory of ridgid anyway?.....one here rarely has a 3650 tablesaw, has never had the contractor saw, but has at least 6 that I can count of the old gray jointers!
            \"Aarrgh, sliver me timbers\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap\" target=\"_blank\">www.picturetrail.com/daviddunlap</a>

Comment

hi ho.

Maybe that's why they're slowly getting rid of competition. So that people will be forced to ask " what's this ? "

Home Depot already has a captive audience of people who shop at their stores for other things. I'll keep my eye here locally to see if any trend develops. So far all I've seen is a reduced price DeWalt combo kit.

Jake

Comment

Was at Home Depot today. Actually had a good experience. They are carrying all lines of tools here still.

Checked the combos again. The combo for 399 was the XR combo. I found another DeWalt combo with same tools XRP for 499. Anybody knowo the difference?

I did notice an extended service warranty today that you could purchase for Ridgids. No pricing was listed. Looks like they may keep the lifetime warranty & charge extra for it. Display didn't say how long / or pricing of warrranty. If anyone has any details, feel free to share.

Jake

Comment

i HAVE HEARD RUMORS THAT HD IS GETTING OUT OF THE WOODWORKING TOOL BUSINESS.ANYONE HEAR ANYTHING ALONG THAT LINE?

Comment

Old news. That was several months back. Emmerson was gettting out of the toolmaking business. YOu can search this website for lots of discussion on the topic. Ridgid brand tools are now made by same tool company that makes RYOBI's.

LOTS OF INFO too much to repsond to. Do a search

Jake

Comment

The DeWalt kits are different the 499 is the 4 kit that has been there forever. It has the Hammerdrill. the one for 399 has a smaller version drill...the compact with I think a 1/2 in chuck. Thats from what I saw.

Comment

Home depot will never get rid of the more popular brands of tools like PC mil. DW Makita. Since HD likes to copy everything Wal-Mart does they now have the Sam's Choice of Power Tools Ryobi and Ridgid. They are At Home Depot and for the most part only there. And According to My local HD Tool wizard..."HD has 69% share in The Company that owns Ryobi...TTI which also produces Ridgid. So point is the other colors will be there...but you may see a larger selection of orangish as opposed to the other colors

Comment

Didn't realize they owned so much of that company. That's interesting. I'm taking Advanced accounting right now and Looks like they got a vertical consolidation.. LOL

Well that gives them controlling interest. So I would gander that we will at least see Ridgid & RYOBI for quite some time at good old Orange & white.

Jake

Comment

I was looking at some Ridgid planer knives today. New orange packaging. On the back it stated Orange and Grey color scheme on Ridgid tools is a trademark of the Ridge Tool Co of ..(forget the city). Sounds like they still control the product, but like most companies nowadays find it cheaper and more efficient to outsource the production. If done correctly it can be a good thing. When dealing with manufacturing in another country (China or Taiwan) most big manufactures keep strict control on the manufacturing quality. Co's such as Delta maintain QC people there. Delta actually bought a manufacturing plant in Taiwan but still outsource almost all the components and mostly just assemble there. So it really goes on in all the companies right down to the manufacuter of the nuts and bolts.

If HD markets these tools correctly and doesn't do what Sears did and try and cheapen the tools at every corner to try and squeezae every penny out of the name it can be good. Huge distribution network where just about anyone can get their hands on TS, BS or whatever. Keep the good reviews in the tool mags coming. Sponsor some shows, they can maintain a decent product for a fair price. Not that I think they will think that far ahead. Its all about making the $ today,not tomorrow,
                            Chris

Comment

I just returned from the International Home builders trade show in Las Vegas. Happen to be going thru the Ridgid booth when some very important Home Depot people showed up. Easy to tell they were big wigs by the reception and butt kissing that was happening. I did talk to one and asked if they were going to do away with any brands in favor of Ridgid. They said not unless their competion does. The Ridgid line they feel is as good as anything out there in its price. They feel this will bring pleased customers back to them. Sounds like they are trying to copy what Sears did with Craftsman.

Comment

Working...
                              X