X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Ridgid out of a semi ?????

I really hope someone from Ridgid looks into this!

I got an interesting phone call a few minutes ago. I've been looking for an 8' windmill for my yard. A friend just called and said there was a traveling tool sale in his town and they had one. He also told me they had pallet after pallet of shrink wrapped Ridgid tools for sale! He said about everything that Ridgid makes was on that truck, the truck being a semi tractor/trailer!!! Hand tools, plumbing tools, woodworking tools and cordless sets!

First off, this "sale" is in a small town in Arizona named "Black Canyon City". It's about 40 miles north of Phoenix. The "sale" consists of a lot of Chineese Harbor Freight type of junk but this time it was LOADED with Ridgid tools. This "sale" happens once a year and is hosted by the VFW hall in Black Canyon City. This thing stinks to me! It's also possible that HD has some dishonest people pulling stock out the back door too.

I am seeing this type of "sale" more and more often as the mega stores pile up rejects and store returns and warrantee items then palletize them and sell them to the highest bidder! They usually end up at the local auction here in Phoenix and most likely on eBay too. If this is the case, Ridgid is getting screwed. The same "defective" tool is sold, then returned to a legit store (home depot), warranteed and then re-auctioned again and again. The one single tool could end up being "recycled" many many times, each time a brand new tool is sent out absolutely free and the company looses money! Not to mention the fact that a (possibly) defective tool goes from person to person possibly injuring each one! And the wasted time of each unlucky person that gets that defective store return has to take it back and fight with the store for warrantee, even though that store did not sell it to them. It's a vicious cycle that needs to stop! Either the defective tools need to be fixed by the manufacturer and sold as "recon" or distroyed so they don't just go 'round and 'round!

My last trip to the local auction was a joke! The owner had atleast 50 broken/returned/rejected Cambel Hausfield "homeowner" type airless sprayers. Pallets of them!! I'm sure he sold them 10 at a time and knowing the customers there, they maybe paid a hundred bucks for the whole pile. Then I'm sure they all slowly got returned one at a time to HD or Lowes and "warranteed" out and a free one went out the door and sold for a bundle. This is a very lucritive scam and it's getting worse every year.

If anyone from Ridgid would like to contact me, my email address is
    info@wonders-in-wood.us

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: Selling Ridgid out of a semi ?????

Sounds sorta fishy to me. I'll send the link to this thread to a few of the guys here.

Josh

Comment

Thanks Josh. I almost made a trip out there to see for myslef but it was too late. My friend called at 4:30 and the sale was over at 7pm. Traffic would have been a nightmare, not to mention the cost of gas in my 8mpg truck! LOL

Mark
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Is this the company?
        http://www.cumminstools.com/
        They sell Ridgid reconditioned tools and sell out of a semi truck,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          Is this the company?

They (Cummins) were in my area not long ago with the same stuff for sale. I think this was brought up about a year or so ago, and it was mentioned by someone that they were a legit seller of reconditioned RIDGID tools.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I bought my BS1402 and a combo kit (hammer drill, circ saw and (ugh) flashlight) from them. No problems but the warranty is only one year. If they're recon'd why don't they have the usual warranty? Still, having had them for 1 and 2 years respectively, I have no complaints.

Later,
            Chiz
            Later,
            Chiz

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              Is this the company?

I will call my friend and see if he remembers. If not, i'll have him call the VFW and ck the sellers name.

Thanks.

Mark

UPDATE............Just called my friend and he confirmed that it was Cummins tools that had the big sale. Oh well, false alarm! Sorry everyone.
              Last edited by The Wood Meister; 07-05-2007, 11:53 PM.

Comment

heck better safe than sorry
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I am a big fan of the cummins tool sales. I have even purchased items from their website. I have purchased from them the 18v three piece combo kit, the 18v recip saw, a 10in compound miter saw, as well as a corded 7.25in circ saw. All work like a charm and have been very reliable in building my basement.
                  Mike

Comment

Cummins does a traveling sales gig, and they sell new Cummins brand (a la HF stuff), and refurbed Ryobi and Ridgid, along with some other odds and ends. I've never seen that much Ridgid stuff when they're in Rochester but it's entirely possible to have a "truckload".

Comment

The VFW here in our little town is doing the same sale. It's a Cummins tools truck, and they have tons of the reconditioned Ridgid tools. I was pretty tempted by some of the deals!! I ended up buying only a few little things, though. One thing I did get was a set of Cummins wood chisels. A 20-piece set for around $30. It's not a great set, and they need to be tuned and sharpened (what chisel doesn't??), but it'll still be useful!

I'm sure it's legit, as everything they sell of Ridgid's has the reconditioned label on it, and the label is usually clearly visible. I didn't ask any of the reps there about it, as the ones I saw clearly had no clue as to the organization of the tool sale. They knew their jobs, and that's all. I'll support the VFW and purchase from the sale, though.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Bear in mind that the recons that Cummins's is selling do not qualify for the LLSA. If the LLSA is important then Cummin's isn't the place to buy Ridgid tools.
                        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                          Bear in mind that the recons that Cummins's is selling do not qualify for the LLSA. If the LLSA is important then Cummin's isn't the place to buy Ridgid tools.
                          The reconditioned tools at the Cummins Truck Sales are warranteed by the seller for 90 days. They carry a Ridgid 1-year guarantee that is standard with their reconditioned tools.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                          X