Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado Blade Question

Greetings!

Can someone please tell me what the 4 round plates are in front of the Dado Blades as found at:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40745

I'm very new to this and don't quite understand their purpose...if I had to guess I would say they are spacers or shims but I am uncertain.

I am not into serious woodworking at this point but would like to work with a Dado Blade. By using an inexpensive blade set such as this, am I shooting myself in the foot? (E.g., an adjustable Craftsman is nearly $100.00). Some, I see, are even far more expensive.

Or, any recommendations? I.e., would I do better with an adjustable such as the Craftsman?

Thank you!

[ 04-06-2004, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: lgldsr ]

Yes, they are shims to "fine tune" the width of the dado. For $19.95 I would say give it a try. I don't know what Craftsman adjustable you are referring to, but remember whatever you get has to fit on a 1 1/8" arbor.
    I would recommend getting a couple of woodworking books from the library such as "Table Saw Magic" etc.
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

As you have pointed out the disc are shims. To adjust the with of the dado. Here is a link on one comparison of a Harbor freight set and the Forrest set.

It feels at times that there are a billion post on rec.woodworking about this set.

The Freud SD508 (which I have) is a nice set and sells for about $160. The various Freud sets get good reviews.

Comment

If by 'adjustable craftsman' you mean the one that has two blades and a disc in the middle that you turn to adjust the width of cut by setting the blades at various angles to each other I would suggest you pass on it. I had one and it did make fairly clean edged cuts but the bottom of the dado is not flat. Since the blades are at an angle to each other they move through an arc as they cut the set width and you end up with a peak in the middle of the dado cut. It is not a large peak but it is noticable at about 1/16" peak on a 3/4" dado

Comment

Wbrooks,

>If by 'adjustable craftsman' you mean the one that has two blades and a disc in the middle that you turn to adjust the width of cut by setting the blades at various angles to each other...

Yes, that is exactly it, and I will take your advice and pass on it.

On a side note: everyone in this Forum has to understand how important the input you all provide is to someone like myself who is just getting into woodworking. The short of it: don't ever think your time is wasted by replying to questions asked by those like myself. It's the only way we are going to learn, and I thank you whole-heartedly for your invaluable input and time spent on same. [img]smile.gif[/img] We, in turn, will pass it along in years to come and hopefully with all fingers intact!

And, one must remember that me being a "thick-headed Italian" (according to my wife - grin) it takes awhile to sink in!

Note: I just went to the URL provided by Darrell and had to laugh. Quoting from it: "Without a doubt, the Sears adjustable is a POS.".

[ 04-07-2004, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: lgldsr ]

Comment

I also have the Harbor Freight #44566 dado set and am pleased to say that its performed admirable. I guess I've been lucky as I haven't experienced the tearout that the other poster has. Playing the HF numbers game this set can usually be had for about $30. Although this set will probably dull quicker than some more expensive sets, I've been using mine for quite awhile now and its shows no signs of dulling yet.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have purchased the Craftsman Excalibur adjustable dado and I brought it back after a couple days. Adjusting it is practically impossible, as the tool won't stay in place, and it adjusts with great resistance. I hated it. Also, the bottom was not square, as has been said. After buying the Frued stacking dado, I was all smiles. I learned that saving time compromises quality. I have many tablesaw blades and I don't mind changing them all the time, I don't need to be in that much of a hurry, I prefer to have good clean cuts.

A stacking dado gives me perfect fits, down to 1/64th, with a good flat bottom. I would never use anything else. (Well, maybe a router)

Comment

I bouht the adjustable Craftsman, Excalibur, thee blades and adjustable and find it to work very well -- clean and square bottoms.

Pricey, around $199 but if your a Crafstman Club member, , you can get it for 10 percetn of Club days.

Freud has come out with something similar but a little more expensive.

Comment

>but remember whatever you get has to fit on a 1 1/8" arbor.

Don't you mean 5/8" arbor for the TS-3650?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lgldsr:
                    >but remember whatever you get has to fit on a 1 1/8" arbor.

Don't you mean 5/8" arbor for the TS-3650?

Thanks!
                    The diameter is 5/8", but the length is 1 1/8". Some fancy dado sets require a longer arbor. Sorry for the confusion. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I also apologize for taking so long to reply. I'll try to do better than 4 minutes next time. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 04-09-2004, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Lorax ]
                    Lorax
                    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

>I also apologize for taking so long to reply. I'll try to do better than 4 minutes next time.

...please. I don't have all day and now you've thrown me off schedule and the rest of the weekend is hosed. Geeze...

Seriously though, thanks for the info and quick reply! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-10-2004, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: lgldsr ]

Comment

hi I'm new to this site but I've seen/used the craftsman adjustable dado and I really think it blows

Comment

i have used the blade your talking about and it is made for sears by vermont american. i used this blade both as a pro wood working shop and my home shop on a sears table saw with no problems what so ever. as for getting it repaired/ resharpened it comes with a lifetime warranty, and from what i was told by the salesman, was all that was needed to do was to send the blade back to them and they would repair or replace the blade and the only down time was shipment because when they get ur blade they ship out one thats all ready. as far as adjustments i have not found on on the market as good as this blade,,,,

Comment

Exposed Dados

I have this set (fantastic value), but it does not provide a super clean profile. As long as you don't have exposed dadoes this will not be a problem.
                            http://www.palatablewoodworking.com

Comment

This has to be the first time I have ever heard of a HF brand blade/bit or otherwise being remotely compared to a high cost pro grade like item. Makes me feel pretty good about the $19.95 wonder I got in the garage. I might go get another, hey it'll take 10 HF's to equal a Forrest, and I rarely dado oak ply without scoring the cut first. I wasn't even aware HF had one with 6 tooth chippers.
                              Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Working...
                              X