Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I bevel this top on dresser

Attachment

I think I posted this yesterday but cant find it, maybe it was removed or I closed the browser too soon.I think I posted in general woodworking.

Anyways how can I get this bevel on the ends of the top?Top is 4/4 Im thinking of beveling underneath 4 inches in from 1" to 3/8" on ends.

Do you think this will work. If I take each piece of the top thats 20x60 before glued up and I mark the bevel and take my bandsaw 14" griz with 3/4 blade and cut the bevel out proud of the line( boards are 4-7 inch wide)? Then glue it together then sand it. I guess I could create a beveled block and clamp it to fence as a jig?

Also maybe handsaw the bevels and do the same as above?
    Also I was told to take a dado as wide as possible at a 45 and keep raising the blade as you move over the piece?
    I cant hand plane it, my tools need some tuning to do that.
    I cant make a jog on router im out of time.

Thanks
    Craig
    Attached Files

Re: How do I bevel this top on dresser

Sounds like your plan to bandsaw the bevel rough then beltsand will work. Unless your plane iron is really rough you should be able to get an edge on it fairly quickly with the scary sharp method. You'll need to take some extra time to align the ends of the boards when you glue them up, you won't have much meat left to play with. Maybe a couple cauls over the ends to keep them aligned will work.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

looks like a straight bevel. If it is you can do it on the jointer, same as a tapered leg.

Comment

True if the board is not wider than his jointers' capacity.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        ---------
        ---------

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
          looks like a straight bevel. If it is you can do it on the jointer, same as a tapered leg.
          Jointers will only do the edge not the face 4 inches in to edge.From what I understood from the directions in jointer book.
          Last edited by Woodywoodchuck; 07-06-2007, 10:45 PM. Reason: wrong info

Comment

Just mark the board where you want the taper to start, drop the infeed, move the blade guard, lower the mark line onto the cutter and pass from the mark to the end, repeat until desired thickness at the end.
            Attached Files

Comment

Once you determine the starting point, you could clamp a scrap of wood to the infeed table as a stop block. Then bring the end of the board up to the stop. Then slowly lower it down into the cutter and you'll be starting at the same spot on each board.

---------------
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                Just mark the board where you want the taper to start, drop the infeed, move the blade guard, lower the mark line onto the cutter and pass from the mark to the end, repeat until desired thickness at the end.
                Thanks I will try it with a scrap board first.

Comment

Thanks for jointer tip.This is how it came out.Was pretty dangerous but I got it done.

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

Lookin good, Woody!! Any hints on the beveling process? I'll be using something similar on the entertainment unit for the house. The really fast-spinning blades-o-manglement on the jointer are kinda scarey!!
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

See the following link for a procedure to flatten a workbench top.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...e.aspx?id=3338

Maybe the procedure could be adapted to accomplish the long taper. Set the side rails to the desired angle and rout away. It would appear to me be a safer way and could also reduce the amount of sanding.

What do you think Sandy?

Comment

I think it's probably workable. To get the thin end to final dimension, you'd have to start shallow, and make several passes. maybe stair-step it to start with, making the far end (most beveled end) first, then work up from there.

I agree, it sounds like a much safer method than using the jointer. I'm just too much of a chicken around those whirling blades.
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                          Lookin good, Woody!! Any hints on the beveling process? I'll be using something similar on the entertainment unit for the house. The really fast-spinning blades-o-manglement on the jointer are kinda scarey!!
                          Yes a bit scary.I had one hand on the outfeed table part of board and one over the blade an board with a push pad.You put board tipped so its not touching cutter on stop block and then lower it down once it hits outfeed table dont lower it anymore and pull the board towards outfeed table at the angle of the two tables.So its like asee saw stuck down.
                          Be careful choosing your wood.I did get one nasty tear out end that im able to rip off.Would of been better to have an extra board. Expensive though its fiddleback maple.
                          Its als pretty loud and it didnt seem to make a difference when the board would drift away from the fence a bit while you were pulling it.
                          Also I had the angle drawn on the side I could see.Be careful not to go below it.If you do all have to go below your initial cut line.
                          All boards had to be cut to length before doing this also so have to very careful on glue up.
                          Hope that helps.

Comment

Wouldn't a panel raising bit be an option?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              Wouldn't a panel raising bit be an option?
                              Sounds right.Some small passes to get it all done.It was 4 inches deep.
                              Jointer was quick but did leave a round groove where I dropped the board down into the blade.

Comment

Working...
                              X