Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of hinge should I use for this?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of hinge should I use for this?

I have a dilemma, See these three pics.The blue cardboard is the leg that will be 3/4 thick which makes it flush with the draws and eventual doors.
    What I didnt think about was how exactly doors were going to mount. I have a regular old hinge but that wont work since the door face overlaps the frame on all 4 sides.
    In this pic the cardboard is moved over to the right and not flush against draw sides which is what I wanted originally and still do but dont think I can because I need to leave room for swing of door at least 3/4 inch.I have about 1.25 inches on the right of draws with the cardboard moved over.I looked at my kitchen cabinets and theres a hinge that goes over edge and front face and to outside edge where theres pin.It sitcks out 1.25 inches from inside edge.

Should I try a euro hinge for this? If so how far out will the euro hinge make the door stick out further than flush? If anyone has advice on a hinge that will work could they give suggestions of a particular brand name? I need to be able to get it at rockler or woodcraft in person, soon.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	e8d4d45dbbf5bae0ba7e341ef9d70a90.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1416

Name:	b49286101c83237c12f044f24c8cc39e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	1417

Name:	0491ca20c920beb95ae578f2e7afb909.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1418

Thank you

Re: What type of hinge should I use for this?

Hey Woody. Nice lookin cabinet so far! I'd look into Euro style hinges, personally. Woodcraft and Rockler both carry Blum hinges. They have a good name in the business. You'll want to get the proper forstner bit (I think it's a 35mm bit, but ask at the store) for the Euro hinge. You have to bore a hole in the door to accept that side of the hinge.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
      Hey Woody. Nice lookin cabinet so far! I'd look into Euro style hinges, personally. Woodcraft and Rockler both carry Blum hinges. They have a good name in the business. You'll want to get the proper forstner bit (I think it's a 35mm bit, but ask at the store) for the Euro hinge. You have to bore a hole in the door to accept that side of the hinge.
      Thanks, I will look into the application of that tommorrow.

On the dresser top is fiddelback maple as well as door panels and legs.Shellac an wax finish.

Comment

Euro hinges come in different overlaps with 5/8 being the most popular. The doors will set almost flush when properly mounted. Be sure to buy the template for the Euro hinge the you use.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

A few months ago I posted my first experience with euro hinges. I used a template with a matched bit I bought at HD. Someone responded that Freud Forestner bits have a longer alignment tips than some other types and cautioned that the tip may protrude through to the other side of the wood. If you plan to use a Freud bit you may wish to investigate this before you drill the 35mm cup hole.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
            A few months ago I posted my first experience with euro hinges. I used a template with a matched bit I bought at HD. Someone responded that Freud Forestner bits have a longer alignment tips than some other types and cautioned that the tip may protrude through to the other side of the wood. If you plan to use a Freud bit you may wish to investigate this before you drill the 35mm cup hole.

Tom

Thanks for tip.

Comment

With euro hinges you will need to add a filler block on the inside of the cabinet to mount the hinge to. You may also want to look at the 3/8" offset hinges at Rockler if you don't mind seeing the hinge. Personally I think adding the filler for euros would look cleaner

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                With euro hinges you will need to add a filler block on the inside of the cabinet to mount the hinge to. You may also want to look at the 3/8" offset hinges at Rockler if you don't mind seeing the hinge. Personally I think adding the filler for euros would look cleaner
                Thanks rockler was very helpful.I got two euro hinges 1/2 inch overlay 105 degree.I see that I have to put that filler block along back of face.
                I also picked up a pocket door kit for another job.Thos ethings look complicated along with some more blum euros for them.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X